1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More polybushes :D

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by s3clarke, Sep 19, 2013.

1. s3clarke

s3clarke Money grabbing s3!

[Sep 19, 2013]
    Decided to give the bottom arms a blast, I used a drill and a gas gun for fire :jump:to get the rubbers out, then a hacksaw along with a chisel to get the collars out. after getting a wire brush in the holes to clean them up, I then used grease, a vice, a bolt with washers and a hammer to get the bushes back in. to be honest, all in all it took me 3 hours, and it wasn't a crappy job either.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 19, 2013]
    Is there anything on the fitting instructions about those voids? voids normally have to be orientated correctly otherwise it can have adverse affects on wear and handling...

In your picture you have them facing different ways and under load they will react differently... never seen voids in poly bushes before... what make are they?

<tuffty/>
  4. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Sep 19, 2013]
    As above, I hate to be negative, but the voids are incorrectly placed dude, and voided poly bushes are most unusual.

cheaper poly bushes tend to be just the 'press in' variety like this, the better ones like Super Pro are a moulded bush inside an alloy sleeve which presses in much like OE.
  5. s3clarke

[Sep 20, 2013]
    Tbh I'm not sure what make they are although it had a grease packet inside that is not for these bushes, the grease was for something else.

They came with as a package I brought (AP Coilovers, powerflex top mounts, wishbone bushes and trailing arm bushes) off the classifieds a few months back. I had no fitting instructions and as my big bush was f*cked I decided to give it a bash. I haven't driven it hard yet but it defiantly seems better..
  6. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 20, 2013]
    Would still be looking to get the voided areas aligned as per OE tbh mate...

Not the best pic but its a Mk4 chassis arm (not an S3 cast one granted but its technically the same setup)

tdi-controlarm.jpg

Note the direction of the voids on the large bush.. these need to be the same sorta direction both sides else once bedded in the handling could be affected

<tuffty/>
  7. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Sep 20, 2013]
    What tuffty said.

Good job though mate. Its easier than people think and something everyone should consider on these old bangers
  8. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 20, 2013]
    Any tips on how to remove them, or is it one way in and no way out?
  9. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Sep 20, 2013]
    Oem will burn out, and require a press to fit.
    Poly ones push in and out with a little force.
  10. s3clarke

[Sep 20, 2013]
    Yea I drilled them JoJo, then burnt them and then whacked them with a hammer and they fell out. I then cut the collar with a hacksaw then chiselled them out. Cheers for the advice lads I will get them of and see I I can turn them around.