1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More A6 Door lock Grief

RichardShute Mar 14, 2010

1. RichardShute

RichardShute New Member

I have a 99 A6 Avant and the locks have started mis behaving. Seems to be a curse of the A6. Locking is fine, both by key and by remote.
    Unlocking mechanically with the key unlocks only the drivers door and no matter how many time I re-twist the key, the other locks will not open. In addition if I open the drivers door, the alarm goes off - always.

I did recently have a major flood in the front passenger foot well due to a blocked drain under the battery.

Any pointers? Where exactly, is the 'Convenience' unit and/or the central locking module? Ripping interior apart on the off chance of stumbling over the right box is a pretty futile exercise.

Thanks for any suggestions

Richard

2. RichardShute

RichardShute New Member

I spent a tiresome afternoon yesterday pulling teh carpet up and removing teh guts of the door. The box of tricks under teh passenger floor did show signs of condensation - what a ludicrous place to put a computer!

However, the problem I finally traced to a broken track on the lock motor PCB caused by prsumably long-term condensation in the motor box whcih had corroded the track. The microswitch worked fine, but the signal didn't reach the pin. I soldered 1/4" of fuse wire over the crack and after reassembling everything it all functions correctly again.
    Way too much electronics in modern cars, I'll be looking for an older not a newer one next time.
    Richard