1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More A6 Door lock Grief

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by RichardShute, Mar 14, 2010.

1. RichardShute

RichardShute New Member

[Mar 14, 2010]
    I have a 99 A6 Avant and the locks have started mis behaving. Seems to be a curse of the A6. Locking is fine, both by key and by remote.
    Unlocking mechanically with the key unlocks only the drivers door and no matter how many time I re-twist the key, the other locks will not open. In addition if I open the drivers door, the alarm goes off - always.

I did recently have a major flood in the front passenger foot well due to a blocked drain under the battery.

Any pointers? Where exactly, is the 'Convenience' unit and/or the central locking module? Ripping interior apart on the off chance of stumbling over the right box is a pretty futile exercise.

Thanks for any suggestions

Richard
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 19, 2014]

3. RichardShute

RichardShute New Member

[Mar 15, 2010]
    I spent a tiresome afternoon yesterday pulling teh carpet up and removing teh guts of the door. The box of tricks under teh passenger floor did show signs of condensation - what a ludicrous place to put a computer!

However, the problem I finally traced to a broken track on the lock motor PCB caused by prsumably long-term condensation in the motor box whcih had corroded the track. The microswitch worked fine, but the signal didn't reach the pin. I soldered 1/4" of fuse wire over the crack and after reassembling everything it all functions correctly again.
    Way too much electronics in modern cars, I'll be looking for an older not a newer one next time.
    Richard