More A4 TDi (110) questions from a n00b :)

SJJ

Reaction score
Website
www.housepricecrash.co.uk
Hi all, first post :thrashi:

I've worked my way up various hatches and currently drive a VW Golf VR6. The car performs at a performance level I am happy with (more of this in a bit) but is dire on fuel consumption! Max 35mpg, normal 26mpg, round town start/stop <20mpg :rolleyes: Had the car RR'd the other week and came out at:

DynoResized.jpg

With this in mind I have been looking at early A4 1.9 TDi's, 110 of course. Seem to be available at nice prices privately now, a hell of a lot of car for the cash. I've been through all of the forum and am well up to speed on tuning boxes and chips but have hit a brick wall; I am looking for info about going to the next level i.e. FMIC, hybrid turbo, custom remap etc. things that can be done without needing big bottom end builds, forged pistons etc. I would be more keen to go this route as opposed to the 2.5 TDi 150 route as from what I can read the MPG on the 2.5 variant when played with isn't 'all that'? What kind of levels can the stock internals on these cars deal with etc? Apologies on the ignorance, I really am not up to speed on diesels and tuning when it comes to specific model knowledge. Ultimately I would be happy with a performance level around the VR6 mark (hence posting RR graph) and hopefully with some decent economy when cruising!

Any info at all is massively appreciated :footy:

I am not really into all stuff and can't really give you the lowdown buthere are lots of 'em on here who will but, i have heard that a 130bhp is a better platform to start with if you intend change turbos etc later on so if I were you I would get the 130bhp 1.9tdi if fuel ecomomy is your concern. I have one and had it remapped 3 weeks ago and I'm all smiles

Hi dude. Which model years are the 130bhp variants? The early TDi's really are getting in a nice price bracket now (£3k+). Are the 130's available on the B5 platform? If it's a later (post 2000ish?) model they're way out of my price range :ninja:

130 PDTDI is what you are after, simply chip it and you will get get some power levels close to your vr6, all though not quite the driveability you will never get that with a 4 cylinder diesel. bigger capacity will always yield more even before the turbo kicks in. from the fuel figures you give you must drive like a saint, so i would think with a 2.5tdi you would be able to pull out some pretty decent figures. the old 1.9tdi (110 & 90) are a waste of time and money if you are looking for something quick they will never achieve anything quite like the vr6 petrol. 1.9tdi is purely and economy vehicle not for performance.

pdtdi is the performance version, it uses electronic management of injection i believe. go for this or the 2.5tdi and you wont be disapointed.

pd diesels were fitted to the b6 a4 onwards ie after 2001. 3k won't get you one of them :crying: If you are getting a b5 then you have a choice of 110 and 90 bhp. The 110 is more powerful obviously, but it also has a variable geometry turbo, larger nozzles, different rings and a proper oil cooler (iirc).

Tuning wise; if you are aiming for 180 bhp then you need uprated nozzles and a remap. A larger intercooler is only really neccesary if exhaust gas temperature (EGT) is too high for the turbo - changing it won't provide much power by itself. Uprated turbos etc are the next step.

Also factor in the cost of a new clutch as the standard one will wilt under the strain. A VR6 clutch and G60 flywheel drops in nicely.

Also, don't focus too much on the headline bhp figure. What you want is torque and driveability.

SJJ,

One of the forum members has just had his 130pd superchipped to 186bhp if thats any help, as above though, the main benefit is the torque increase :)

icenutter said:
pd diesels were fitted to the b6 a4 onwards ie after 2001. 3k won't get you one of them :crying: If you are getting a b5 then you have a choice of 110 and 90 bhp. The 110 is more powerful obviously, but it also has a variable geometry turbo, larger nozzles, different rings and a proper oil cooler (iirc).

The 2000 B5 had a 115bhp PD engine.

icenutter said:

Tuning wise; if you are aiming for 180 bhp then you need uprated nozzles and a remap. A larger intercooler is only really neccesary if exhaust gas temperature (EGT) is too high for the turbo - changing it won't provide much power by itself. Uprated turbos etc are the next step.

Also factor in the cost of a new clutch as the standard one will wilt under the strain. A VR6 clutch and G60 flywheel drops in nicely.

Also, don't focus too much on the headline bhp figure. What you want is torque and driveability.

i have a A4 1.9TDI (not sure what BHP) its a 52 plate, does that mean that mines a PD???whats the main differences of the PD and a non-PD???

Thanks for any help!!!

Your car will definitely be a pd. They started to fit them to vag cars from about 2000 so the B6 A4 has pd engines. The technical differences between non-pd and pd aren't really that important, but the pd engines are more powerful economical and arguably a little quieter. PD stands for Pumpe D&#252;se and refers to the the 'type' of fuel injector. This was really an attempt by VW to not go down the common rail route for injectors, but they seem to have given up on the PD route recently for the 2.7 and larger engines.

If you tell me the power output of your engine I can talk some specifics. It'll most likely be 100 or 130 bhp.

hth

You can get an A4 TDI 110 to achieve 0-60 in less than 6 seconds, this would require the larger 'van' nozzles, a few other major mechanical changes, a 'little' weight reduction etc.

But in the long run your car would be pumping out black smoke and only getting 20mpg, so it is not really an economical project, unless you are racing diesel B5's.

I agree that the PD130 is the ideal diesel engine to tune up and still retain your mpg.

Dont bother with the 2.5 lump, it is too heavy, and does not tune as well.

The older B5 diesels can achieve a respectable 150-160bhp with a little tinkering, but more importantly 'big enough' torque, to pull well.

Even though the A4 has exceptional grip/handling, if you push it too much in a corner at speed the back end will try and overtake you.

SJJ said:
Hi all, first post :thrashi:

I've worked my way up various hatches and currently drive a VW Golf VR6. The car performs at a performance level I am happy with (more of this in a bit) but is dire on fuel consumption! Max 35mpg, normal 26mpg, round town start/stop <20mpg :rolleyes: Had the car RR'd the other week and came out at:

With this in mind I have been looking at early A4 1.9 TDi's, 110 of course. Seem to be available at nice prices privately now, a hell of a lot of car for the cash. I've been through all of the forum and am well up to speed on tuning boxes and chips but have hit a brick wall; I am looking for info about going to the next level i.e. FMIC, hybrid turbo, custom remap etc. things that can be done without needing big bottom end builds, forged pistons etc. I would be more keen to go this route as opposed to the 2.5 TDi 150 route as from what I can read the MPG on the 2.5 variant when played with isn't 'all that'? What kind of levels can the stock internals on these cars deal with etc? Apologies on the ignorance, I really am not up to speed on diesels and tuning when it comes to specific model knowledge. Ultimately I would be happy with a performance level around the VR6 mark (hence posting RR graph) and hopefully with some decent economy when cruising!

Any info at all is massively appreciated :footy:

Hi there.........some reasonable advice has been given and some incorrect , i have a first Gen 1z mk3 golf tdi and at the last remap it made 226hp and this was before the new higher flow nozzles plus fuel cooler was put in not to mention the lift pump.

And will be re-mapped very shorly....with the 110hp you have you to achieve more power you need to change the standard nozzle you have which are called the .205's for some T4 transporter 151hp nozzles called the B .216's or pp764 nozzles...at this point you will need to use vag-com to lower the iq a little ( iq stands for injection quantity).

by the way this is with the fist stage chip in place , and if you want more than the 155hp that will now be produced you will have to go down the re-map route which always gives more power any way.....the next step would be to change your turbo for a vnt17 found on the pd 130hp / 150hp....if you use the 130hp pd unit its a straight bolt on job if i've got it wrong at this point because your car is an Audi you can use the Passat 130hp pd unit.

Apart from a couple of oil lines you have to sort out , you have to change a boost hose or 2..job done..........now you need to have a re-map done but a good one will bag you around 175hp.....oh dear i hope you have some $$$'s for all this because the next item to have is what is none as an 11mm pump...this pump will bag you 15hp along with a lift pump which is fit b4 the fuel filter.....but i'll stop at this point but give us a ring on 07920-843699....if any one would like these mods and more and are serious about may be having these or some of these mods done , your more than welcome to have a look at my motor i'll try to up load a couple of pic's.

golisago: where do you get your nozzles from? I was going to get some Kermatdi ones from the States, then noticed that Allard in the UK sell some. I was going to get some pp520 from Kerma, but Allard was a but cagey about what the exact spec of the nozzles was.