More 3.2 woes - Engine Management Light flashing - hesitant acceleration

Hellz

Geordie Racer
Reaction score
After 6 months of struggling to sort out lumpy idle and the engine cutting out I've had a good run of no issues until this morning on the way to work...

Driving along the A1 and all of a sudden the engine management light starts flashing and acceleration becomes hesitant/lumpy. The Engine Management Light only seems to flash under acceleration and I cant be certain but, it appears it happens from around 30-40mph upward.

Does anyone know what this could be? is this symptomatic of a coil pack failing?

Once my local indie dealer opens up im going to try and book it in this afternoon for a diagnostic but any advice/opinions would be appreciated...

As much as I love the car I'm getting to the point now where it's going to have to go :(

... I should add, the engine does sound a little rough and as if it isnt 'firing on all cylinders'.

Am I right in thinking that the Engine Management Light flashing is less serious than it being permanently lit? :S

Mine did flashing light, before it did solid light. Audi quoted £4500 to fix. I think I was unlucky though.

It could well be just coil packs, so hopefully no need to panic yet!

Cheers Pete. I'm obviously hoping it's simply the coil pack(s) however, I dont have much luck either when it comes to VAG cars - fingers crossed.

hi,
any more news on this? my car has just done the same thing this morning. its a 54" plate A3 3.2 sport with 85k on the clock.
hoping its not a big job.

cheers

Gareth

Sounds like coil packs get vag com put on it and do misfire test pencil coils are quiet common on vags for failing under load giving the flashing mil light

Start the car and disconnect each pencil coil connector 1 by 1, if when you pull off the connector it sounds worse its ok, if you pull a connector and it makes no noise difference then its that coil that's gone.
Common on alot of vag cars up to a certain year. Chances are the coil is split in the middle. Effects cars up to 2007 I believe, VW changed all mine for free as they are well aware of it, apparently VW bought the company that made them I was told. Worth a phone call as it was a recall

Last edited:
At the same time you want to check the timing chains are within tolerance as they are a big issue on them 3.2 engines and an expensive fix

thanks for you advice on this. me and a mate had a look last night and found the fault that was a coil. but it had snapped, so the bottom 3rd is stuck in the bottom at the mo.
ive seen that this has happened to other poor sods... ive seen a couple of fixes to get it out, like putting a screw in to what's left to pull it out.
going to try that later today.
nothing is ever easy is it!?

G

Last edited: