Mono Pur on S3?

Pulp, you were just being accurate, honest and truthful.

Can't ask for anymore than that! :)

Reactions: Psyman79 and Pulp84
I've had a **** day at work and to be honest this little exchange has cheered me up no end! :w00t:

First world problems deciding if a bit of plastic here and there in your car ruins your whole buying experience and potentially your life. LOL

I love ASN ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: elpaulio, Bristle Hound, Psyman79 and 4 others
We probably need a mono.pur sticky thread.

So to sum up. Everyone who's spec'd it likes it, but what you don't know you don't miss and its probably a lot of money for what it is, but then so are most of the A3 options (excepting hold assist of course which is magic;)).

Having come from an A4 (where (actual) leather armrests came with the Nappa option) it was surprising to see it was an extra option on an A3, but please I spec'd it (helped by reading about it on this forum)'

Reactions: Martinbanshee
Didn't spec it. looks nice but not really bothered.

On a plastic related issue......

.... it's always puzzled me where there are 2 obvious differences between textures in the plastic in a very visible area.

The area surrounding the cupholders, there is a beautiful grain, that hides finger marks, scratches etc,
Then right next to it, is exactly the same plastic, but with no surface graiining or texture - which picks up all the finger marks, scratches etc., surrounding the gear lever, MMI and EPB switches.

Bizarre.

ZheZUOD.jpg

Reactions: Dazzeroo
It is funny you mentioned this, I was thinking the same thing the other day!
I wonder what the reasoning was for it.

I think it would have been much nicer had they carried the grain throughout that section !

Reactions: Dazzeroo and Blackwhite
Mono pur is a nice touch but it should be standard fit!

Now for the money you get some fake leather, why not buy the car without it then get it trimmed in real leather wouldn't cost much more and will be that little bit nicer

On a plastic related issue......

.... it's always puzzled me where there are 2 obvious differences between textures in the plastic in a very visible area.

The area surrounding the cupholders, there is a beautiful grain, that hides finger marks, scratches etc,
Then right next to it, is exactly the same plastic, but with no surface graiining or texture - which picks up all the finger marks, scratches etc., surrounding the gear lever, MMI and EPB switches.

Bizarre.

ZheZUOD.jpg

This puzzles me also as a newly qualified vinyl wrapper I'd wrap it in carbon a brushed effect colour or even some other funky colour possibly to match the exterior

I think they were drawing that part on a Friday afternoon and ran out of time to finish it properly so just left it lol

Prob started to cost to much and thought stuff it just use the plain for the rest! It can be another option to add!!

luckly, I did some research before buying, and specced mono pur and the Super Sports Seats.
But just to bring everyone back down to earth.

923666_1468998966674815_972556781_n.jpg

Reactions: DommyR
Yea what's up w that. Anyone know?

Audi didn't bother making a new harness and centre console moulding to switch it over for right hand drive cars.

So in right hand drive cars, you ask the passenger to start your car for you as its on their side

:lmfao:

Reactions: DommyR
That's ridiculous. Unacceptable. I understand they want to keep costs low and priced the car very competitively (so all u guys complaining about mono pur not being standard can suck it) but that ish is just ridiculous
Unless this is some passive aggressive "post war left hand drive is the better way f you england" behavior, then its kinda funny.

Without wishing to belittle the A3, the A1 and A3 are the bottom two of the model range, so where they can cut costs without affecting the product too much, they will.

They would never consider doing it on an A8, for example (then again they charge more for those cars).

I don't get this left side right side of the transmission tunnel that people moan about.
People have the same issue with the TT and it's handbrake. We're talking not even six/seven inches and besides how often do you use the start button as opposed to the volume knob?
More practical to have the volume knob on the drivers side I think.

There is a specific volume control on the steering wheel ;)

It's just Audi being cheap/lazy. They bothered moving the EPB switch over for LHD RHD, even though it's only 25mm apart ;)

(no new harness or moulding required for that though, hence minimal cost)

But it's the skipping tracks/stations on the volume knob which is more usefull. You can't do that on the steering wheel unless in the correct DIS.

Or programme your * button.

See - plenty of ways to achieve MMI functions on the steering wheel.

But only one way to give your passenger total control of stopping your car when you're on the Motorway ;)

But I have my * button programmed to swap the Sat nav between night and day colours. That is the most important to me as the Sat nav auto settings changes when the headlights are on which isn't always ideal for night colours.

By your very own argument then, how much of a hassle is it to reach over 6 inches to change tracks on the MMI knob?

Much safer to have the engine start/stop (a primary function control) on the drivers side of the car :p

The volume button falls easier to hand and only requires a push left of right. MMI requires a scroll and push. Too much effort

I don't buy the cost thing at all. The entire dash is different for RHD cars, not to mention the different door armrests required for window switches. Compared to the costs of manufacturing all that, doing a reversed central housing seems almost trivial by comparison.

Didn't say I had one, just that I don't think cost was a real factor - maybe they just couldn't be bothered and didn't think it was a big issue which side the button was.

I don't know about the Audi A3/S3 but the passenger can't simply press the start/stop button to switch the engine off whilst in transit! You need to be at a standstill for it to switch off, that's how it functions in my current car and 2 other smart key cars I have used. So for this reason it makes more sense to have the stereo controls closer rather than something you will only operate twice (start and end of journey). It won't let you do it while you are moving because it engages the steering lock!

Sorry to change topic, but I don't see how it is a safety feature because surely it's not safe to switch off the engine whilst driving as you would no longer have total control of the vehicle!?

And if your throttle body sticks open, and the gear lever gets jammed in D, how do you stop or switch off the engine..?

Passenger can switch off the engine in one of two ways, they get choices ;)

With the car in motion:

Press and hold the button - engine will switch off
Press the button twice in quick succession - engine will switch off

In normal circumstances steering lock will only engage when engine is off, DSG in Park, and door is opened.

Pretty sure that's what the Mono.pur prevents from happening ;)

Reactions: TerryCTR and veeeight
And to get back on topic I think the Mono.pur looks a lot better than standard, it just adds that extra premium look and finishes the interior off. That said, I massively agree that it should be fitted as standard to a 30 odd grand motor!

Reactions: Snibo
Yeah back on topic...

I have mono.pur this time round but didn't on the last car as I didn't really understand what it was back then, if it was even available.

It does make a noticable difference, especially as I have the alcantara/leather seats so it extends the white stitching in addition to the faux leather.

I don't agree that it should be standard on all models but I think either the S-Line & S3 should get it as standard or, at the very least, it should be included if you spec an upgraded seat option like I have as it pretty much goes hand in hand with it.