Monkey tyre fitters....... Grrrrrrrrrr !!!

C_Audiboy

Vroom Vroom
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
So I go along to get 2 new Goodyear F1s fitted on the rear, only to get more than I bargained for.....

A nice big crater on one of my perfect alloys!!! I don't know how the **** they managed to do this amount of damage - must have hit it off a wall or something.

The worst part about it is they are denying it was them :mad: . NOT HAPPY.

The fitter noticed a tiny mark on the other wheel and he pointed this out before he started the job (it actually rubbed off anyway) - THEN WHY THE **** DID HE NOT POINT OUT THIS MASSIVE HOLE IF IT WAS THERE BEFORE HE STARTED!

I've been going to the same place for all my tyres for about 10 years now, the least I'd expect is them to own up if they made a mistake.

The owner is apparently in on Monday so I'll be back then.

Arrrrgghhhh :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

at least they didnt cave in your floorpan with a jack! i had to stop the kid before he jacked my old car up in the wrong place. he then tried to jack up the whole of the rear end up using the alloy diff casing!

easytease said:
yes they're wrong to damage it. but seriously, its waht 4-5mm big, and easily repaired.

Hmmm, all well and good, but thats the only 'mark' (more like hole) on any of my alloys. Its actually about 10mm and appears to have split the finish below it too. Fantastic.

I'm gonna moan like hell to get a new wheel but I fear I'll be lucky to even get the repair costs met by them. Gimps.

I'll tell you exactly what they've done, because it happened to me on the previous car. When they put the wheel on the turntable to get the tyre on or off, they lower an arm down over the wheel and then a vertical bar slides down and is secured just above the rim with the attachment on the end which gets the tyre on or off. The muppet has obviously allowed this vertical arm to drop down onto the wheel, causing the damage.

Personally I'd be demanding a replacement wheel and threatening legal action. Hopefully when the owner sees you're serious he'll back down.

Incidentally, if the guy noted some marks on another alloy then I think it's reasonably to deduce from this that each wheel was inspected prior to work so denying all knowledge of the damage won't wash.

If you get no joy out of them then I'd file a small claims action against them, they'll wake up when they see that land on their doormat.

.... jeez.... however you should have seen the state of one of my wheels when i had a tyre changed by Audi! there was chunks literally missing out of the edge of the rim! This was on a £24k car 2 weeks old!!! Needless to say I got a brand new set of wheels from them.

steve184 said:
.... jeez.... however you should have seen the state of one of my wheels when i had a tyre changed by Audi! there was chunks literally missing out of the edge of the rim! This was on a £24k car 2 weeks old!!! Needless to say I got a brand new set of wheels from them.

I had Audi take my 1 week old car to get a wheel reconditioned after my dad touched a kerb. I got the car back and after washing it noticed the wheel was a different colour. My dad said he would buy a new wheel so bought the new wheel took it to a local tyre fitter. The manager came out to look at the car as he has a mk5 golf while looking he said who ever has jacked this up has put a normal jack on the jacking point and squashed the sill. You would think that being the main dealer they would use better people to do the work. I never took that any further though.

As for the OP I would deffinately only accept a new wheel though and not getting it reconditioned. I know a friend who had the tryes changed on his newish M3 got two new wheels after a tyre fitted scratched them.

yeh, personally (and it probably ****** people off to be so finnicky but i dont care) when getting tyres removed from expensive wheels stipulate that if they damage them in any way - they are replaced and not repaired by some guy in a van with a can of spray paint. I've had wheels refurbed before and as with any sort of car paintwork - there is no substitute for factory paint. I'm chancing having future problems through no fault of my own - no way.

I agree with steve184, I watch tyre fitters like a hawk and tell them that any damage whatsoever will be a brand new replacement wheel from the local Audi dealer - they can have the one they knackered to reburb and sell on ebay if they like! :)