Mobile Speed Cameras

Platinum70

Reaction score
Whilst travelling on the A3 near the M25 (junction10) in Surrey I went past three cameras positioned on the bridge in line with each of the three lanes. I had been travelling at around 85 to 90mph, but I saw a police car coming in the distance behind me and had slowed down.

My question is does anyone know from how far away these things are likely to 'get' you? I know I should not have been speeding, but just wondered if anyone knew.

The most strange thing was the police car. A platinum grey Seat Leon Cupra R and it was travelling at a speed of at least 120 -130mph. That's a new type of police car!

Hi

Depends on the type of camera.

The new cameras with lasers can in theory detect you 1000m away.

I have seen the types of cameras you mention and some of them are simply number plate scanners looking for dodgy motors, road tax cheats etc.

Was the police car unmarked? Around us they have Audi A6's, Jaguar S types and BMW's. All seem to be silver. The only way of spotting them is either the slightly shinny lights in the grill and lumps in roof lining.

Dux

Yeah if they were very small camera's lined up along the bridge with no vehicle in sight then chances are they were road tax scanners. I got done on one on the M3 driving my new A4 Avant back from where I bought it. The traffic cars then get notified and they chase & stop you. So if you weren't stopped you should be OK.

There was a police van but it was parked almost out of sight.

These b@@@@@ds were on the M1 north bound today - I was in the 3.2 A6 loan car and pushing on, but managed to see them right in the distance, bet they will have caught a few today

They're not speed camera's. They're actually doing a good job for once prosecuting toe-rags with no tax or stolen/unregistered cars.
The joke is if they catch you with no tax it's a massive £40 fine, almost worthwhile taking the risk.
this country.....