MMI Traffic (for those with Connect)

Itguy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

From what I can see (haven't got my car yet) there are two options for traffic data on the MMI with connect.

TMC based (i.e. via Classic FM, the old skool way)
and
Inrix/Google based Traffic received by the Simcard/data plan

Any thoughts on which one is more accurate or gives better data??

I've had a look at the Inrix app on the iPhone and it's nothing special, but that doesn't mean it is using the same data as the Audi implementation.

Anyone?

I have the TMC based version and traffic isn't updated every minute. I don't know the intervals but I'm guessing the Inrix is quicker and more accurate. Sorry couldn't help but its only my input for this topic.

Don't have connect but from what I understand:

The Google system is potentially more accurate and up to date as it's crowdsourced from mobile devices. It thus covers all roads unlike TMC which relies on the Trafficmaster cameras which are only only Motorways and major roads.

That said I don't know how much information you get on the Google system - i.e. it can use the data from mobile devices to work out speed and location and thus deduce how the traffic is moving but the TMC system gives you actual information about the incident, whether there is an accident or road closure or whatever. Does the Google system have this information added/updated?

I've found the Google traffic to be very accurate. Recommended.

how do we change between TMC and google ?

I'm not sure which I am using

Does the TMC data on systems without Audi Connect affect the arrival time estimates and can it auto re-route based on traffic ahead?

No I don't think so. I think the TMC system is all text based so it doesn't have any GPS info, info on length of traffic, severity etc.

The tmc traffic on my z4 pro nav does adjust the arrival time and can do diverts etc. It also knows ow long the jam is etc.

Audi must use it differently

No I don't think so. I think the TMC system is all text based so it doesn't have any GPS info, info on length of traffic, severity etc.

If so, that's a pretty useless feature to have!

The TMC in my A3 without connect does re-route, gives new arrival time and will change you back to your original route if the traffic issue is resolved.
Downside is, as said, it's not updated every minute and my Nav has on more than one occasion turned me back to my original route even if I'm going off on the re-route it told me previously.
I've turned it off now, not up to date enough for me.