1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMI screen issue

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by WingoWango, Mar 15, 2013.

1. WingoWango

WingoWango Member

[Mar 15, 2013]
    Good Morning!

A bit of a browser here but thought I would post an issue I have at the moment. I have a new (4 weeks old) 1.6tdi Sline and I have to say I think the car is fantastic on all fronts. But. Just popped the shop and as I jumped back in the car I noticed the MMI display had not risen from the dash. Tried pressing the on/off, different selections and nothing. The radio and media are playing fine but as I say the display is stowed and when i select a source e.g radio or media the light under the switch is not on. Just got home so going to pop out in a bit and see if anything has changed? Any ideas? Thanks.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 25, 2014]

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Mar 15, 2013]
    Welcome to the forum.

If it persists, do a battery disconnect for 10 minutes, reconnect, drive for 5 minutes which should distinguish any lights on dash & then test.
  4. WingoWango

WingoWango Member

[Mar 15, 2013]
    NHN Thank you for the quick response.

I have just gone back out to the car and it is all working fine again. No doubt something I have pressed! Will keep you updated if it happens again.
  5. XXXCorps

XXXCorps Member

[Mar 15, 2013]
    Don't bother updating just drive it back to the dealership being 4 weeks old and don't disconnect anything... Get them to sort it.
  6. WingoWango

WingoWango Member

[Mar 15, 2013]
    Your'e exactly right XXX but its working fine now so not sure if they will able to rectify or find a fault which is not there. Is it likely to show any fault codes? I may take it for a spin past the dealership tomorrow. I'm fairly certain it was a glitch as I don't know of any other reason/method which would keep the screen stowed.

Thanks for the reply's
  7. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

[Mar 15, 2013]
    If you have the problem in future, or any other glitch, it's useful to know how to reset the MMI system.

Press the MENU button, MMI wheel button and the top right soft-button simultaneously and then release and it will reboot the system. Has cleared the few odd glitches I've had every time.
  8. WingoWango

WingoWango Member

[Mar 15, 2013]
    Cheers for that Vertigo, was not aware of the reset. Useful to know!
  9. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 15, 2013]
    Sounds a bit like Windows (the Microsoft version rather than the glass one). If all else fails REBOOT.
  10. Spurrellian

Spurrellian Member

[Mar 15, 2013]
    This happened to my screen last week. Had to do a reset for it to pop back up
  11. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

[Mar 15, 2013]
    I've had three glitches so far. The satnav display has frozen twice and the DAB failed to work one morning. In each case the reset fixed it.

To be honest I'm not that bothered. I work in software myself and appreciate that any complex piece of software is going to have occasional bugs and glitches and will need resetting or rebooting. As long as it doesn't screw up on a regular basis it's fine really.