MMI says 1 key initialised, but I have 2!

taurus

Reaction score
Hi,

Picked up my ex-demo S3 yesterday and noticed last night that the MMI says only 1 key is coded. So I checked the second key, and while it locks/unlocks the doors manually, the remote does nowt. And the car wasn't that happy to drive either.

I have VAGCOM and am having trouble finding out how to code / refresh the key codes on the 8V/A3 design.

Is there a simple way, or do I only have the option to get Audi to do it (for a £60 charge)?

(Great forum and loads of excellent stuff. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't seem to find a thread relating to this on the 8V platform.)

Sam

Surely the dealer shouldn't charge you? It was their fault that they gave you two keys, but only one coded

@alijnclarke - thanks for the reply.

Car went Dealer > someone else (for 2 months) > me. I agree, but Edinburgh isn't local to me in Cambridge.

They need to sort it - ask them what they are going to do about it and that you aren't travelling all that way to rectify it.

You should be able to take it to a local dealer?

Absolutely!

Take it to the local dealer. If they have to send it somewhere else that's their ****** problem! You have another key you can use in the meantime so no need for you to be inconvenienced at all. Who's the customer here? ;)

Reactions: Minion Bob! and Blackwhite
Dealer has said they will pay for the coding after pressure.

Just a bit odd - how can a key lose it's coding from the factory? Can you accidentaly de-code a key, or do they come uncoded and it's part of the original PDI?

If it's only a couple of months old and an ex-demo, I bet the second key has never worked. I would say that is poor pdi.