1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMI Navigation vs MMI Navigation plus

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C7 Chassis)' started by fwabbly, Feb 17, 2014.

1. fwabbly

fwabbly New Member

What's the difference? Is it just that the plus package has the touch feature or does it also upgrade the screen?
  2. elan2s

elan2s Member

By going with Nav Plus you get a larger MMI screen and the touch pad on the central console. The navigations system also is stored on a hard disk drive rather than using an SD card and this allows 3D imaging and also images of major landmarks displayed on the MMI screen when showing the map. There is space (c10gb) on the hard disk to store music or videos and the in dash CD drive is upgraded to DVD and you can play films etc when the car is stationary. If you take the Tech Pack option rather than simply the navigation upgrade you get Audi Connect that amongst other things gives you access to Google maps and better real time traffic info. The standard navigation (and Nav Plus without Audi Connect) uses TMC data which is much less comprehensive.

Hope that helps
  3. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

mine's not got the full techpack and I still get rsap + google traffic + google earth + streetview for POI's and destinations.

the 10Gb storage on the HDD is nearly useless, but it does free up a SD slot and the touch entry is amazing after years and years of that spinny dial / voice input!
  4. elan2s

elan2s Member

You must have specified the Mobile Phone High - With Online services option in order to get the connectivity
  5. BahnStormer77

erm.... I guess I do - I thought the mobile phone high (and the Audi Connect) was part of the MMI Advanced (Touch) hardware, but it looks like that is another extra....

I didn't spec the car - I bought it last year with a couple of hundred miles on the clock as an unused Audi demo car - it was the only way I could get the 3.0TFSI engine without getting an S5 Sportback (too small) or an A7 (annoyingly slightly smaller bootspace than the A6 Avant and with KILLER insurance - £1000/year more!).... what can I say, double-buggies are big!
  6. elan2s

elan2s Member

3.0TFSi no longer offered on the A6 (in the UK) so yours will be something of a rarity
  7. BahnStormer77

Ta, I know.... but petrol residuals on larger cars are pretty poor most of the time. A pain to get it slightly off my preferred spec, but it only had 250 miles driven by other people and with around 30% off the book price was a fair compromise, just a pain that I have to pay nearly £1000 to add DAB, which is standard on most cars, but was an optional extra on the C7 S-Line at launch, despite being standard on the C6 S-Line (and most SEAT's, Fords, etc, etc)....
  8. elan2s

elan2s Member

Don't think was ever standard on the C6, unless it was part of some run out special edition. The cost of the DAB module from Kufatec (FISTUNE® DAB / DAB + Integration Audi MMI 3G / MMI 3G +-39703) for your C7 (this is the one for the 3G+ system you have) is about £300 plus fitting (they claim it is a 30 minute job!) so well under £1000. My C7 has the SD Card Navigation and for that I apparently need I need to replace the whole Navigation unit to add DAB and that is silly money, although I have just noticed that Kufatec are now offering a module for those with the RMC navigation system at £300 so maybe not all is lost. The only issue with these aftermarket options is that they do not support auto switching between DAB and FM depending on signal strength. Note you will also need the correct antenna module to connect to the antenna in the glass (rear or side depending on whether yours is saloon or Avant)
  9. BahnStormer77

It was 100% standard on the A6 S-Lines (not standard on the SE's), I'm not sure how long that was the case, but I was watching the A6 and A7 spec's from 2010 onwards VERY closely, so those wouldn't have been run-out specials!

If it is £300 + £75-£100 for aerials, plus another £50 for the adapters, plus several hours of skinned knuckles as potentiallly messed up interior, then I'd rather just pay the extra to get it done by Audi.

I'm waiting for them to confirm again (I've lost the e-mail as it was sent to my old work address), but I think it was actually about £800 for the DAB and £1000 or so for DAB+DVBT.
  10. BahnStormer77

I'm pretty sure I've seen DAB on non-touch versions of the MMI unit from Audi, have you asked Audi how much it would be to upgrade?
  11. elan2s

elan2s Member

SD card cars can have DAB as a factory fit, however on these cars the DAB module is embedded in the navigation unit rather than being an separate unit as is the case with the implementation in cars with the HDD navigation, hence the need to replace the navigation unit. The Fistune unit from kufatec looks to be a viable alternative even if it is not perfect
  12. Cruiser89

Cruiser89 Advanced In Car Tech Site Sponsor

So we picked up our new A6 on Tuesday which is MY14 (Identifiable due to the auto boot opener)

Now we spec'd Tech Pack (Not Tech Park Advanced) and we got:

+ Larger Screen
    + Touch Pad
    + DAB
    + Google
    + WLAN
    + AMI
    + Bluetooth
    + Sim Card Slot

Now Audi have released the "Official DAB Retrofit" which is literally a new Tuner module with a few cables, no instructions at all (Not like Cruise Control or towbars). We tried fitting it to an A4 but it didn't want to play ball. It also needs component protection turning off so even if it gets retrofitted, you have to visit a main dealer. I have been told and confirmed that it will work on a variety of cars but for the A6 it works on:

A6 / S6 / RS6 (C7) Avant : 2012 - 2015
    A6 / S6 (C7) Limo: 2011 - 2015
    A6 (C7) Allroad: 2013 - 2015
    A6 (C7) Limo Hyb: 2012 - 2015

Hope that helps!

Tim