MMI Interface USB Cable Problem

Flatoot

Reaction score
I just bought an S3 8V and for some reason, the external hard drive I have, is not being read. It worked ok in my 2013 A6. I'm just using the USB lead that plugs into the interface jack.

Any ideas?

It maybe that the A3 socket is not providing enough power for the drive - I'd try a different cable and then maybe another A3 if you can. If that fails suggest a pen drive or card adaptor that draws less power as there are no moving parts.

It maybe that the A3 socket is not providing enough power for the drive - I'd try a different cable and then maybe another A3 if you can. If that fails suggest a pen drive or card adaptor that draws less power as there are no moving parts.

It's just as a small WD external hard drive. It powers up no problem. You'd have though that if it wasn't gonna work, it would have shown similar issues in my old A6. It's on it's 2nd cable from Audi now as well. No difference.

Will try in the wife's car as see if it works. Should recognise it though yeah? I thought the media player was supposed to pick up all media types on all media players, including storage devices?

Reactions: Rob2k68
How is it formatted? I think it will need to be FAT or ExFAT for the MMI to read it. If it's NTFS or HFS you might need to reformat and drop the files back onto it.

Reactions: Rob2k68
How is it formatted? I think it will need to be FAT or ExFAT for the MMI to read it. If it's NTFS or HFS you might need to reformat and drop the files back onto it.

Good point ! This is certainly the case for SD cards.

Reading a bit more, ensuring that it's a single partition and FAT formatted seems to be the key. Often portable drives come with two partitions, one of which contains software for password protection and encryption etc. You need to flatten it down completely to a single partition and format it with FAT.

Cheers guys. It is FAT formatted. It hasn't changed since couple months back when it was in my A6 and was being read fine. I've also used two other devices (a memory stick and another external hard drive) and neither are being registered. Ironically, power is going to the devices so I know the cable is not faulty.
Audi have suggested I book it in as they said sounds weird.
If I connect up my iPhone using the USB cable, it's not recognised, but if I use the dedicated iPhone connector, it works.
Go figure!