1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMI handwriting recognition

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by SimonIG10, Jun 12, 2013.

1. SimonIG10

SimonIG10 New Member

Hi, only got the Sportback today so trying to work out how everything works. On the 3 door demo I had, you could write the letters/numbers on the MMI pad (not great when you are right handed). I dont seem to have this function on my car (s-line). I am not that fussed but was a nice little gimmic. Should I ahve it or does it need activating??
  2. squiretolley

squiretolley Active Member

It's a feature on the Tech pack only.
  3. Chris28

Chris28 Member

Do you have the tech package? This image of mine is what I use for the hand writing (the big black button) for the phone and sat nav and this is what was used in the demo car. photo(1).jpg
  4. A3sportbackMark

A3sportbackMark Member

Nice spec car you have there Chris. Havn't seen many Scuba Blue...
  5. wab172uk

wab172uk Member

God, I hope hand writing recognition isn't the future. With using computers for the last 10 years or so, my hand writing has gotton awful.
  6. SimonIG10

SimonIG10 New Member

Reckon demo car had the Tech Pack which I dont have. I think I can live without it....
  7. ukm120

ukm120 Member

It's a useful option if you have it, finding I use it more than the voice recognition.
  8. Chris28

Chris28 Member

I thought I'd stick with blue as the previous A3 was a lighter blue and liked the colour. I haven't seen any other blues either, more grays and whites passing me by.
  9. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

I'm glad I picked one of the less common colours it seems :)
  10. A3sportbackMark

A3sportbackMark Member

Me too! We should form a scuba blue club, as a rival to D****** Grey and A***** White. Lol
    cemerson likes this.
  11. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

The handwriting option can be a little unreliable. Sometimes it only reads partial strokes as it seems to freeze, and I have to repeat the letter.

Seems to be better if I use firmer strokes. (Stop it, take your dirty mind elsewhere!)

I do prefer it to twiddling the knob (seriously, stop laughing) to enter the details for address / number etc.
    Quarz likes this.
  12. garethpauljones

garethpauljones New Member

It's kind of handy for swiping through albums in the album browser if you don't use it for handwriting and also for moving about the sat nav map.
  13. mjcourtney

Speaking of swiping through the albums....

It seems that this method doesn't actually present you with individual albums, it's a list of tracks displayed with their album artwork (in some sort of order... haven't worked out what yet). Does anyone know if you can change any settings to change it to swiping through albums? Because in its current form I don't use it, as it's just a slow way of searching through all the tracks....
  14. garethpauljones

garethpauljones New Member

I've not figured it out yet. I might try setting all my albums as compilations in iTunes to see if that does anything but the current setup in my car is like you - album browser is a list of tracks with artwork. Handwriting works well when searching for a track or album though rather than using the list scroll method.
  15. SimonIG10

SimonIG10 New Member

I was going to ask the same qusetion, all I get on the Iphone is a list of tracks in alphabetical order. Not sure how you can select an album to play.
  16. mjcourtney

Yeah i'm using an SD card, but have the same problem. Wouldn't really mind, except the option is clearly labelled 'Albums' in the MMI!
  17. deci

deci Active Member

I think it's a great feature but being a right hooker really makes it a bit more difficult. Still better than the alternative.

Improved voice recognition will be the future. It's just not quite there yet.
  18. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

Sounds like it should be reported as a bug and fixed under warranty... I tend to just arrange my albums by folder naming on the SD card (or USB in my current car) and just navigate that way anyway