MMI failure problems...are they widespread?

JohnnyWeybridge

Reaction score
Hi there - I'm new to the forum and yes, it's really just because I want to vent my frustration/anger!

I have owned an S5 for the last 4 years and had several problems (failed battery, leaking sump gasket, other electronics problems) but my current issue takes the biscuit. One morning a couple of weeks ago I started the car and the MMI was dead - blank screen, none of the lights on the centre console were on, radio not working, clock reset to 2010! (was registered then).

I booked into to Audi Walton and thought it strange that they had ordered a brand new MMI unit in advance of my visit. The guy dealing with me explained that this was just a precaution so that they had it in stock if it proved to be required. I then had a call later in the day to tell me that indeed they found no spillage damage (I had told them there wasn't any) so it was basically the main unit that had failed and needed replaced....at a cost of £2800.

I have been reading MANY stories about other Audi models where water leakage from windscreen washer pipes / design flaws that let in rain water have caused the MMI to fail. Unfortunately given the car is almost 5 years old, it is out of warranty so I am faced with funding the repair myself. Does anyone have any similar stories / advice on how I can approach this? There is no way I am paying Audi £2800 and sadly this has put me off buying Audi in the future. I never had any problems with previous BMWs....many thanks for any help...

AFAIK there is no widespread problem other than the water dripping onto the amp when having after market tints fitted.

If you've always had it serviced by Audi (and even if you haven't it's worth a try) go back to your service manager and insist that at 5 years old it's not acceptable for the component to fail. I would have said (especially if Audi serviced) there's a good chance of a good will gesture from Audi.

Fingers crossed - it's never nice have something that expensive go wrong.