MMI cable types come collection time

Hi all, just joined the forum today after recently purchasing an A3 saloon.
Seems to be A LOT of confusion with these cables, and looks like I'm joining the ranks!
I was only supplied with the USB cable, part No: 4F0 051 510 AB which doesn't recognise my iPod...
I have an 80gb iPod classic, pretty old one, can anyone advise as to which cable I need please??
Thanks in advance, Ben.

Thanks for that veeeight! Don't suppose you've any idea if anyone managed to work out how to shuffle with an iPod classic? Doesn't look too promising from what I've read! :(

My new A3 (no tech pack) is being delivered by the lease company to my work tomorrow sometime and they haven't mentioned anything about cables so far. I've just sent an email explaining that I have an iPhone 6 plus so will require a cable compatible with it, will see what they say...

Reactions: Rob2k68
I think there are now 3 lightening cables available - yellow, green and white ?? Would be interesting to know the differences and which is the latest ?

Well the lease company have come back and said they'll ask the dealer but that it usually comes with the 4s cable, a phone that came out over three years ago :keule:

The dealer then responded with: “The correct cable will be in the car tomorrow subject to availability.“
Not sure what colour that's going to be, anyone know the difference between green and yellow (and why I should throw white in the bin @veeeight ?

Last edited:
unlike Australia, where no cables are supplied and its a A$125 each for them... the dealers response was there are too many types of cables and we won't know which one to supply..... no comment

So I am very confused now after reading this.

Can anyone advise what cable is best for a 5s and using spotify? I will make sure this is ordered and put to one side. It will be with tech pack if that makes a difference.

Thanks

(and why I should throw white in the bin @veeeight ?

Because it was next to useless when it came out, and has been superseded by Green, then Yellow.

Can anyone advise what cable is best for a 5s

Apple Lightning Yellow Collar for 5s
Second choice is Green Collar.
Both Yellow and Green will work with 5s.

Reactions: nickatkinson
Because it was next to useless when it came out, and has been superseded by Green, then Yellow.

Apple Lightning Yellow Collar for 5s
Second choice is Green Collar.
Both Yellow and Green will work with 5s.

Thanks for that...and I presume all functions work via Bluetooth anyway but drain the battery quite fast?

So I got my car, it came with a green collar cable which has the following traits:
  • It charges the phone.
    • not sure yet whether it's providing 1amp or the 2amp that the 6 plus can take.
  • It treats the phone the same as an SD card, folders of Artists, Albums, then Songs
  • It also has the phones playlists available
  • It does not show album artwork
  • It does not allow for control of music to be done by the phone
Does anyone know how this compares to the yellow cable?
So far I prefer to use bluetooth audio streaming which allows me to:
  • mount my phone to the dashboard and be visible
  • use my phone as my satnav
    • Waze, Google Maps and TomTom all have advantages over MMI Nav IMHO
Neither of these solutions seem to show album artwork, though as far as I know A2DP doesn't support it so that's not Audi's fault.

Last edited:
For iPhones: Green or yellow collar lightning cables give artwork on tech pack only.

The only way to get artwork via AMI cable on non-tech pack is red collar 30-pin cable plus apple Lightning adapter.

But audio on SD card in glovebox gives artwork on both Tech-pack & non-tech-pack subject to image size restrictions (from memory up to 500x500 non tech pack and 800x800 for tech pack. Progressive jpegs won't display though).

John.

Reactions: veeeight