MMI, Audi Audio System options and questions...

larbel

Reaction score
We don't get that many options offered for the S3 Sedan here in Hong Kong, my car is pretty much standard and came with the followings:

MMI Radio Plus with 5.8" display
Audi Audio System
AMI (No USB charging port)
Bluetooth

For what it's worth, I'm ok with the system apart from having no Navi, both SD card or BT for music are working fine. I can see album art with both, and can have playlist with the SD card. And Siri is working via the BT mic. Just wondering what retrofit options are there with the above setup.. Anyway, I have tons of questions and sorry if they've been answered before, but the setup seems somewhat different from most posts I read here.

1) With MMI Radio Plus, I have only 1 CD and 1 SD slot in the glove compartment, and no GPS antenna, so I assume the unit can't be activated to SD Card based Navi?

2) The center console seems exactly the same as MMI Hi setup, with the Navi button presented, are all center console the same regardless of what MMI version?

3) Is Hold Assist retrofit-able? Parts swap and VCDS?

4) Is the AMI/USB port just a direct part swap with the AMI only port? Do I need VCDS to activate it?

5) As the pictures... I have NO spare tire space at all in the trunk!! From all the pictures I've seen, there should be at least the space for the spare and the woofer??? Are all sedan like this? Where is the woofer?? I have woofer option and I can feel the woofer, just don't see where it is in the sedan...

6) Is Parking Assist worth retrofitting? I really don't have much use for it, but it just seem cool LOL

Just fitted the OEM 19" 5 spoke stars on it, running WITHOUT Mag Ride isn't really that bad on PSS 235s, 39/37 at the moment... And the followings are the things I plan on installing soon, any other "must have" anyone recommend?

1) Retrofit OEM backup camera (Thinking adding 360 view too, but the cameras are kind of ugly sticking out from the grill and the underside of the side mirrors.. Still debating...)

2) AirPlay/Android Mirroring system for Google maps etc.. This will enable AIM as well but debating if I should op for upgrading the display to 7" touch screen display. Don't really need the touch screen or the Android/WinCE system, just want the 7" display...

3) Rearview mirror hidden camera recorder.

4) MTM M-Cantronic sometimes down the road maybe...

IMG 9368

IMG 9369

1) With MMI Radio Plus, I have only 1 CD and 1 SD slot in the glove compartment, and no GPS antenna, so I assume the unit can't be activated to SD Card based Navi?

Are you sure you don't have a GPS antenna? Here in the UK all cars have SD nav prep but in any event, i think, as you have a single SD Card system Nav might not be an option.

2) The center console seems exactly the same as MMI Hi setup, with the Navi button presented, are all center console the same regardless of what MMI version?
  • Standard MMI and Nav MMI use the same controls with black function selection buttons around the jog wheel.
  • TechPack Systems use controls with chrome / silver selection buttons around the jog wheel.
3) Is Hold Assist retrofit-able? Parts swap and VCDS?

Yup... Switch, cable and VCDS coding is needed. Most people here hate the function and wish they had never paid for it.

4) Is the AMI/USB port just a direct part swap with the AMI only port? Do I need VCDS to activate it?

The unit is the same size but you will need to install an additional cable as the USB port uses it's own cable. VCDS is not needed in order to activate the USB for power / charging but there are options within VCDS to change its function, e.g. for use with an iPod / iPhone.

Edit: You might want to check the rear of your MMI unit as being a single SD card unit it might not have a socket for the USB cable. It's a yellow socket.

5) As the pictures... I have NO spare tire space at all in the trunk!! From all the pictures I've seen, there should be at least the space for the spare and the woofer??? Are all sedan like this? Where is the woofer?? I have woofer option and I can feel the woofer, just don't see where it is in the sedan...

The Sub is mounted under / to the bottom of the parcel shelf in Saloon / Sedans.

Thanks DjAlix! Yup, no GPS antenna here...

Reactions: DJAlix