MK6 Golf

What I don't understand is that Audi seem to follow VW. Given that Audi is the more prestigous of the 2 brands, I'd have thought that Audi would have been first to bring out the new model(?).

VW were allegedly losing money on the MkV Golf, as it was incredibly difficult/complicated to build.

What I don't understand is that Audi seem to follow VW. Given that Audi is the more prestigous of the 2 brands, I'd have thought that Audi would have been first to bring out the new model(?).
Remember, the A3 is just a Golf with a posh frock.

*runs*

The A3 8P came out before the Golf MkV, but not this time it would seem.

Yeah the Mk5 was made too well according to internal sources at VW, the rear suspension set-up (on mk5 and 8P) will be dropped because its just not making them enough money on the VW range. The MK5 and 8P A3 were both designed with a 10 year lifespan, the new A3 is just a facelift really keeping the multilink suspension and mk5 chassis. The MK6 wont have the multilink but will keep the same chassis and is effectively a facelift its just with the way ford etc change their designs there needs to be a perception of an "all new" model.

Be thankful though the litre and 600 sportsbikes seem to have a brand new model each year just so they fulfil homologation with their average models rather than making special one off "S" models

Yeah, the 6 is using the same subframe as the 5. something to do with the new vw chief wanting to cut the cost of development.

I would assume that the reason that the A3 is built on the Golf subframe rather than the other way around is that VW then pay for the development costs. Much easier to claw back the development costs on a mass market vehicle like the golf than lower volume A3.

Yeah the Mk5 was made too well according to internal sources at VW, the rear suspension set-up (on mk5 and 8P) will be dropped because its just not making them enough money on the VW range. The MK5 and 8P A3 were both designed with a 10 year lifespan, the new A3 is just a facelift really keeping the multilink suspension and mk5 chassis. The MK6 wont have the multilink but will keep the same chassis and is effectively a facelift its just with the way ford etc change their designs there needs to be a perception of an "all new" model.

Be thankful though the litre and 600 sportsbikes seem to have a brand new model each year just so they fulfil homologation with their average models rather than making special one off "S" models

According to the article in today's Auto Express the new Mk6 will sit on the same platform as the Mk5, complete with the multi-link rear suspension set-up.

Are you sure the Mk6 won't have the multilink setup? That would be contrary to what I have read so far. Where did you hear this?

This is from Auto Express:

"Dimensions are near identical to the outgoing model. The wheelbase is the same as the MkV’s, as is the roof height, while there’s only a small increase in width. Underneath the skin, the MkVI sits on the same platform, complete with a multi-link rear suspension set-up."

Autocar:

"The Golf's front strut/independent rear suspension and platform is carried over, while powertrains will be extensive and feature new common-rail diesels, a four-wheel drive transmission and a hybrid."

I'd be very surprised if VW dropped multilink, as it was one of the ways they managed to make the Golf a decent handling car again, and therefore compete with the Focus as a decent drivers' car.

They are trying to cut manfacturing costs, though. For example, the doors on the MkV were very time consuming to make, but this will be addressed on the MkVI.

When my dad went to the factory he somehow wormed his way into the production line area (he is one of the most embarassing guys ever got us into the brietling tent at waddinton airshow and was having a meal with the red arrows!) anyhow the guy he was talking to said that the production line had been set up a long time back to tool up for the MK6. I may very well be mistaken but there is a part of the multilink which is very expensive to produce so the guy said they had revised it, now I dont know what they have done with it, but i suspect might just be an easier to produce set up but obviously i guess they want to keep multilink? As you say its the thing which made it handle better than the suet pudding that was the mk4

On another note what autocar and auto express says and VW Motoring say often differ altho not checked on this yet. My dads in germany going to the factory again on his way down to lake constance, god help them! I'll ask him more cos I know he spent some time talking to this production manager guy last time (february that was so may have had feedback from a carshow to keep it?)