MK3 Golf GTI Failed MOT. Advice needed

MrTackalakalaka

Reaction score
Hello everyone

My friends MK3 Golf GTI failed its MOT on emissions by quite a lot today.

The mechanic suggested something (i can't quite remember exactly) about putting something in the engine. Something about taking the throttle head (i think) off and cleaning it maybe.

Is there any advice on what to get and what to do?

Im not very experienced with engines so wanted to get some advice.

Cheers

When was the last time it was serviced? you could try using some descent fuel system cleaner, but what i normally do if a cars failing the emmissions is stop the test, take the car out for a drive and get the cat nice and hot then re-try the test. it normally works.

depnding which value it's failed on depends on what you need to do. An oil change can affect Hydrocarbons where as a hot cat can affect C02

Thanks for the replies. Im not sure exactly it failed on, my friend has the MOT info.

The car had been in storage for about 6 months and has only been driven about 100 miles in the last week or so.

I took the air filter off and the hose leading to the (i think.....) fuel head? and there was a build up of oil/s**t there so i gave that good clean.

Not sure when it was last serviced. But will chuck some fuel stuff in the fuel as well and see what happens.