1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MK1 tt in dire need of ICE upgrade. Got some olllld kit in the loft.

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by zack1uk, Feb 24, 2011.

1. zack1uk

zack1uk New Member

[Feb 24, 2011]
    My wife just bought a very nice Mk1 tt 1.8 225 with (non bose) cassette / CD changer. It sounds Ok but def needs upgrading.

I still have all the kit that I removed from my Rover Coupe 13 years ago. Its all about a day away at the back of the loft so I don't remember model numbers but I'm pretty certain it includes the following:

JVC CD Tuner HU (Top of the range at the time but very willing to buy something better now)
    Infinity Kappa 3 ways components, with the emit tweeters, 4inch mids and passive crossover. (the 6*9s blew and were replaced with dedicated Pioneer 6.5inch woofers - blue spirally plastic cone ones)
    MB quart 2 way (I think they are the 5.5 inch ones - bought for my old company mondeo but never fitted)
    Sony 600w (peak) 4/3/2 way mid range amp (was about £300 at the time)
    10 Pioneer (blue plastic vortex cone again) in a Kenwood ported box.

It needs to have full Ipod control (not just 1st 6 playlists etc, like my HK drive play) so I'll either need a HU with control or one with 3.5mm / phono ins and then use another HK Drive+play.

Its been so long since I contemplated an ICE install and it was all so easy in those days. Now I have to worry about Canbus and VAGCOM and all sorts of other electrical wizardry.

If I can I'd like to make use of the infinities, possibly replacing the 6 inch woofers but still making use of the mids and tweets, as well as keeping the amp and sub.

Can / should I use the MB Quarts in the rear panels, and the million dollar question what HU for about £150 to £250 (I always liked Alpine in the 80's and 90's) ?

Cheers for making it this far :blush:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. zack1uk

zack1uk New Member

[Feb 24, 2011]
    Half the gear above was wrong. I've found most of it from the loft and its:

JVC KD-LX3R HU
    Infinity Kappa CS1 Components (but with a pair of Kenwood KFCw1703 17cm woofers, not the original 6x9s). Think its a 4.5inch or 5 inch mid so not sure if thats gonna fit in a tt door panel
    Kenwood W series 10 inch sub
    Sony XM 504X amp (pre xplod) 300W