Mk1 clutch strikes again

AudiSpy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So driving to work on Thursday the clutch pedal started not returning properly. Within 10 minutes it went from normal to, slowly coming up, to a light tap sends it to the bottom where it stays. Oh and clutch fluid all over the floor.

From research of our good forum and the rest of the internet it most likely points to the slave cylinder. Joy.

Now, i've found a pretty good step by step guide (on the TT forum sozzles) of how to do a clutch change but my Spidey sense is telling me this is going to be even more of a ballache than I think it will be. I'm pretty reasonable with a spanner (currently building a hot rod and just completed an engine change on another motorbike) so i'm not really afraid of the graft.

Anyone have any words of encouragement? Or tips even? I think this will require a lot of cups of tea to complete!

Here's a picture of it anyway!

Attachments

• IMG_7901.JPG
    IMG_7901.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 127
I'd have settled for a "your mad but go for it" or even a "it be reet crack on son"

Either way i'll let you know how it goes, i know you're all riveted to know ;)

Reactions: Zman6000
Oh just so you all know... I did it. It was a complete pain in the *** but it was better than paying for it and I got to treat myself to some new tools along the way.

Oh just so you all know... I did it. It was a complete pain in the *** but it was better than paying for it and I got to treat myself to some new tools along the way.
Not an easy job then buddy, did you have a ramp to use or on the floor job?
How did you find putting it back together?

I had it up on axle stands high enough that the gearbox could be pulled out when on a trolley jack. Putting it back together was a lot faster and smoother than taking it apart. I'd do it again if I had to.

I had it up on axle stands high enough that the gearbox could be pulled out when on a trolley jack. Putting it back together was a lot faster and smoother than taking it apart. I'd do it again if I had to.
Fair play buddy, no problems with the Haldex or anything then? I heard it's a pain just wondering for when I have to change mine? Impreza was easy enough (my last car)

Yeah that was fine the transfer box came off a lot easier than i thought, literally unbolt it and it's might rotate and slide out.

The last car i changed a clutch on was an impreza as well so if you did that I would say you are in good stead to do a TT. There are just a few more parts to take off (like subframe etc)

Yeah that was fine the transfer box came off a lot easier than i thought, literally unbolt it and it's might rotate and slide out.

The last car i changed a clutch on was an impreza as well so if you did that I would say you are in good stead to do a TT. There are just a few more parts to take off (like subframe etc)
The only reason I was even slightly concerned was my little bro did one and said it was a right pain but he is 10 years younger and hasn't been in the trade as long as me. I'm impressed you did it without a ramp. Am just trying to get it all up to spec before I spend cash on making it go fast Aiming for 300bhp or just shy so I don't have to change the rods....