1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixing Engine Oils

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by imported_Strider81, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Half way up the M1 my oil light went on (my fault should have checked b4 i left) so i stopped at the nearest and most dearest service station only to find they had one type of oil.

rather than risk it i poured a little of this Castrol GTX Magnatec in to keep the ess happy- however I know this is not the optimum oil and so will it be harmfull in anyway to top it up fully with the recomended 503.01 spec?

thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Guest

I am no expert in oil and i am sure someone is but i very much doubt you will have caused any problem by putting some GTX in. More problems would have arisen had you not put anything in!

4. imported_gek

imported_gek Guest

Up to 1/2 a litre of a substitute oil is ok in emergencies I think.

5. Yep, gek is spot on. I had the same thing happen on the M6 and I phoned Audi Roadside Assistance who said up to half a litre of any synthetic oil was OK in emergencies.

Not sure what the code is for the proper stuff, but I know Mobil 1 is it!

6. WilkoS3

WilkoS3 Member

I have done this the other way around. I have SLX in the engine and have topped up with Mobil1 as you say they are both 503 01.

I think that it's OK?

7. CJ A4

CJ A4 Active Member

I hope its ok i too had mobil1 and Halfords never had any ...so had to go with the SLX longlife II seems to be ok though.

8. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

Yeah i should be fine its normally only a problem if you mix semi synthetic and fully synthetic.

9. asifgillani

asifgillani Member

thanks for the responses - i'll top up tonight!

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I hope its ok i too had mobil1 and Halfords never had any ...so had to go with the SLX longlife II seems to be ok though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think you should be using SLX longlife II in the S3...

11. neil.c

neil.c Senior

Any oil is better than no oil, if the light comes on then you are not that far away from engine faliure, best to keep the levels topped up.

12. dummi

dummi smoking a6

as soupie says don't mix semi with full synthetic, you will get away with it

13. VW 503.01 is the code.

SLX carries this not SLX II.

Others are Mobil1 0w-40, Castrol RS 0w-40, Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 0w-30 and Motul 8100 0w-40.

Cheers
    Simon

14. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

Hi Simon,

Guessing your the same company that posts on Pistonheads - great advise by the way!

How much is the Motul 8100 0w-40 in say 5Litre quantities?

Cheers,

Ben.