1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Diagnostics Port

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by lloydsta101, Dec 17, 2009.

1. lloydsta101

lloydsta101 Member

[Dec 17, 2009]
    Well, as the title states... I'm having a bit of trouble finding the plug for VAGCOM etc. to plug into on my S3. I was under the impression that it was just under the ashtray/cigarette lighter compartment, under the little cap that comes off at the back of the rubber mat thingy?

I took the little cover off, expecting to see a plug there for the diagnostics to plug into, but instead just found an empty hole into the bottom of the dash. I assumed that the plug had slipped out or something and took the dash apart, but still can't see any plug... just a few receipts and a chewing gum packet from the previous owner.

Any ideas? :shrug:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 29, 2014]

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 17, 2009]
    Lower dash, drivers side... underneath cubby hole by bonnet pull... purple/pink socket

<tuffty/>
  4. lloydsta101

lloydsta101 Member

[Dec 17, 2009]
    Lmao, that's why I couldn't find it then. Thanks very much! :thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity then, what is that hole for at the bottom of the centre console that has a cap over it? Is that for some sort of extra I don't have?
  5. ianysm

ianysm Active Member

[Dec 17, 2009]
    Sounds like its just a hole to put cables through. Either a previous owner has had it done or they come with it...Don't think mine has one though!
  6. Mpathe

Mpathe 1st gear

[Dec 17, 2009]
    mine is behind that black cap under the ashtray, so they must of changed it on the later models. cheers
  7. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 17, 2009]
    Some A3's had the port there, a lot of parts are shared across the VAG group of cars so could be legacy or shared part from other versions or earlier models..

<tuffty/>
  8. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Dec 18, 2009]
    some early a3's had the port at the rear backside of the centre console under a cover also..

pretty random on earlier models

settled to the lower dash position as tuffty says now thankfully across most new models
  9. lloydsta101

lloydsta101 Member

[Dec 18, 2009]
    Ah right, well at least I know I haven't got something missing now. Although I've somehow managed to break the Ashtray while taking the Centre Console apart... it won't click into place anymore! :blownose: