Missing brake fluid? Where's it going!

Stuart B

Reaction score
Okay - my car failed it's MOT in October due to leaking brake fluid. I sorted that but didn't top up as it didn't look low.

5 weeks later low brake fluid warning, followed by clutch pedal on floor and tow home.

Today I got some new dot 4, topped up and searched for a leak, assuming it would have been the same rear caliper as October but no leaks found. Left engine running kept topping up and pumping brakes etc for 20 minutes until level stayed between min and max.

Cracked clutch slave bleed nipple and used gravity method and 40 minutes of repeating pumping the clutch pedal by hand to build up pressure followed by gravity bleed.

The clutch feels really good, smooth gear changes a higher biting point, not slipping or jerky. Probably better than it's been previously?

I will check it for a few days, as I'm not convinced it's not leaking, but where might it be from and going to.

My only potential reason might be that, after not topping it up when it was leaking before the MOT and mucking around with the mapping stuff maybe the clutch has worn out a tiny bit introducing air. But then why for the first 5 minutes before clutch pedal went to floor was the warning intermittent, 3 beeps and flashing warning. Then again 30 seconds later, then after 5 minutes constant warning, then clutch pedal failure.

I don't have an under-tray so should be able to see on the floor any serious leaks.

Hi Stuart ,
Check for brake fluid leaks from either the clutch master cylinder 'clutch pedal area' or as i had recently on my S3 the clutch damping valve . A round sphere located on the bulk head between the clutch hydraulic line and gearbox 'slave cylinder' . TPS wanted over £100 for the valve i replaced mine with a brass joiner for a fiver .

Cheers Ant