1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfire

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by dickys3, Apr 2, 2011.

1. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hi guys

My S3 has just developed a misfire and I'm wondering what to do next to try and resolve it!

The misfire is happening on cylinder 4 according to vagcom. I don't get any faults recorded against the engine module, I simply log blocks 14,15 and 16 and it shows up.

I've swapped the coil packs around to see if the fault moves cylinder and I've also swapped spark plugs around. None of these things have solved the issue, I've still got a misfire on cylinder 4!

I was thinking of going down the injector route next. Is it possible to swap injectors around to try, instead of buying a new one in case it's not this?

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Rich
  2. S3RYE

S3RYE Interior Next!!

Look in one of the sticky threads at the top in 8P! Warrencox has a very explanitory Thead on misfire issues with S3's. I'm currently going through the saga with mine. Check it out and see if that helps. I've also changed all coilpacks, spark plugs. It happened Revo stage 1 an is now happening Revo 2+. Basically I'm 99.9% it's something to do with exhaust valve springs & so are Revo & Amd.
  3. jungleman

jungleman Well-Known Member

dont the valve springs only effect the 8P3's tho?
  4. S3RYE

S3RYE Interior Next!!

Mine is an 8P3 & Warrens was 8P2. That's why I thought OP would like warrens thread! :)
  5. jungleman

ahhh, thought it was just and 8P3 related issue
    dont think mine misfire is valves thankfully as i dont have the map on and its still misfiring like a bitch! think once i get paid ill get a complete set of coils, plugs & a new maf see if that sorts it urgh!
  6. Denty

Denty Member

I had a misfire recently...just changed the spark plugs n coils and all is perfect now...in fact its the smoothest its been since i first got her 3 yrs ago...the map has come alive even more..!

I got the most recent version of the coil packs (which do look different to the old ones) and spark plugs (1 stage cooler now than before) from Audi all half price after a little pressing.....they are awere of the coil pack misfire issues but as yet my car is not on the recall list...

The funny thing is they implied that if i let them fit the mentioned parts it would be free but i insisted on doing it myself and had to settle for half price....strange...

I quite enjoyed fitting the bits, its v easy to do and it only took around half hour...
  7. dickys3

How hard is it to swap injectors around?
  8. Denty

Denty Member

Dunno havnt done that yet on this car but i rekon easy enough...cant be that hard
  9. jungleman

famous last words haha!!
  10. dickys3

Update - swapped injectors around last night to see if I could move the misfire from cyl 4 to cyl 3 and I had success!

No more cyl 4 misfire!

Gonna order a new injector today and will get the faulty one replaced. Really happy now I'm getting somewhere with this!

What a nightmare of a job to get at the injectors on this engine!
  11. Boydie

Boydie Boycie

It is a nightmare of a job. I had the tumble flap fault and had to change the motor. Some job indeed!

I had a misfiring issue a couple of weeks ago (stage2 revo), plugged in vagcom and no engine faults.

I have a fear it might be injector related :( but hasn't happened since but will keep an eye on it!
  12. dickys3

Update

Had the injector swapped out at Audi under their goodwill scheme (car is 2 months out of warranty) for free.

Car now runs perfectly. No more misfire!

I'm a very happy chappy!