Mis-fire

I think I will leave my car stock........ one tuner called me yesterday to tell me that he finally has a map that is misfire-free but really I am not very eager to keep on trying again, seeing people all over the world are having these issues and no one has the exact clue to what it is (injectors, plugs, pump, WTF??)

:(

It is odd - you're right. There are S3s out there with over 400bhp that have never misfired once and others in Standard form misfiring a over the place.
And it doesn't seem to be a particular build period which woud indicate a faulty batch.
As far as I know the only person to fully resolve the problem did have brand new injectors fitted so logically it must be those. But what the cause is nobody seems to know.

Honestly - I just think the injectors have poor tolerances.
Some are good - as there are lot's out there with maps now that have not had a single problem, Jonny's for example was up to 360bhp on the standard injectors without issue.
Some have the issue all the time - but I stand by my view that all the remaps are responsible for are making the mis-fire more obvious and it's then it's becoming a problem.

A royal pain in the @rse though, as it's a bit of a lottery!
It's good that GIAC are trying to work round the injectors, but they shouldn't really have to. Audi should be holding there hands up and recognising the issue.

Does anyone know if the type of injector between pre and post facelift S3's has changed?

It is odd - you're right. There are S3s out there with over 400bhp that have never misfired once and others in Standard form misfiring a over the place.
And it doesn't seem to be a particular build period which woud indicate a faulty batch.
As far as I know the only person to fully resolve the problem did have brand new injectors fitted so logically it must be those. But what the cause is nobody seems to know.

The problem is, all Audi do now is plug your car in to a computer and it tells them of issues and probable resolutions.
If the computer says 'Coilpack' they do the coilpack.
If the computer says 'ECU' they do the ECU
Several people with this issue have told the dealers "it's the injectors!!", only for the dealer to continue doing what the computer says!

Was chatting with someone recently who had all sorts of stuff relating to the brakes replaced, only for the issue to still be there and eventually be traced back to a brake pedal switch through some old fashioned trial and error. That part cost a tenner, but the dealership had replaced £100's worth of kit that wasn't actually faulty - all because "the computer told me to do it!!!"

It's rubbish really!

What´s even worse is that my car will not misfire while stock but it will do it while remapped, and I cant risk going to the dealer in remap-state and having them notice the extra power since I will risk losing the warranty. Here there has even been one case of an S3 who got the APR test trial remap, and had a spark plug tip melt and cause a nice pile of mess.......new engine needed (apparently they did not notice the ecu map at that time.....)

It is really a bummer, one of the reasons why I sold my 130i M was for the increase in power (only after remapping) :(

Just an update on mine:

After readinghere, and also speaking with a mechanic mate, I've run two tankfuls of petrol with some voodoo juice added (aka Nulon injector cleaner). After the first tank, could no longer sense a mis-fire on the road (but there's limited opportunities to test, you'll understand ;) )

Ran it on the dyno yesterday, and the mis-fire seems to have gone, stock.

Loaded a remap -- no mis-fire either (but not much power gain, either :( )

I've really always thought these additives were, literally, voodoo juice but I am suspending judgement atm. :)

This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but it irks me to hear about people with non standard cars complaining that its audis fault when they dont work properly.

I might be accused of being a bit simplistic here, but If you have a misfire and your car is absolutely not modified in anyway then take it back to audi and get it fixed under warranty (i know they may have trouble diagnosing, but they'll get there in the end, even if it means an entire new engine).

If your car is fine in standard trim , but misfires when remapped, then its the map causing the misfire. That doesnt mean that the map will cause a misfire on every single s3 and it doesnt mean the map is faulty, but just that on your particular S3, it causes a misfire. It isnt because you have a faulty component, its just because Audi build engines (and the components that make up the engine) to varying tolerances, you have an engine that will not tolerate a remap. Audi do not state anywhere that all their engines will tolerate a remap and produce three hundred and whatever horsepower, they say it will produce 265bhp. It may be the case that the majority can be mapped to 310 bhp without issue, but that doesnt mean that its audis fault if yours doesnt.

You may be able to make that engine tolerate the remap (by fitting replacement injectors, or by using injector cleaner etc), but you shouldnt complain that your audi which produces the factory stated power quite satisfactorarily is somehow defective, when it is operating exactly how the manufacturer said it would.

I say again (just before I get flamed for this opinion), that if your car misfires when totally standard then your car is clearly not performing how audi state it should perform and should be fixed under warranty.

As an aside, and nothing to do with this discussion, anyone who says that software cannot break hardware is not being truthful. I could write a map for my caterham that would melt a piston in short order.

This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but it irks me to hear about people with non standard cars complaining that its audis fault when they dont work properly.

I might be accused of being a bit simplistic here, but If you have a misfire and your car is absolutely not modified in anyway then take it back to audi and get it fixed under warranty (i know they may have trouble diagnosing, but they'll get there in the end, even if it means an entire new engine).

If your car is fine in standard trim , but misfires when remapped, then its the map causing the misfire. That doesnt mean that the map will cause a misfire on every single s3 and it doesnt mean the map is faulty, but just that on your particular S3, it causes a misfire. It isnt because you have a faulty component, its just because Audi build engines (and the components that make up the engine) to varying tolerances, you have an engine that will not tolerate a remap. Audi do not state anywhere that all their engines will tolerate a remap and produce three hundred and whatever horsepower, they say it will produce 265bhp. It may be the case that the majority can be mapped to 310 bhp without issue, but that doesnt mean that its audis fault if yours doesnt.

You may be able to make that engine tolerate the remap (by fitting replacement injectors, or by using injector cleaner etc), but you shouldnt complain that your audi which produces the factory stated power quite satisfactorarily is somehow defective, when it is operating exactly how the manufacturer said it would.

I say again (just before I get flamed for this opinion), that if your car misfires when totally standard then your car is clearly not performing how audi state it should perform and should be fixed under warranty.

As an aside, and nothing to do with this discussion, anyone who says that software cannot break hardware is not being truthful. I could write a map for my caterham that would melt a piston in short order.

I agree mate.
My comments are referring to the fact block was registering mis-fires in stock but couldn't 'feel' them. Only after the map were they obvious. In his case the map made the issue apparant and that isn't on really.
The other point is that in the states, the injectors are a dealer known issue - at a guess, the injectors in the uk are the same, yet dealers don't appear to know.

I do think it's a real shame that it's a bit of a lottery for people with maps as a result.

PS - I wouldn't buy one of your maps :nyah:

Mines still flying with my new injectors in:arco:

Not that it helps much!

Thought you might want to see the content of the email from the mod shop.

"we can see that the injectors are working almost 100% but should only be at 75%. We think that 1 injector maybe faulty or not installed correctly from the factory. It could be a batch of faulty injectors not sure but when fitting these injectors it needs great care."

Does anyone know of a place to buy the OEM injectors online and the aproximate price?

Just got back from Angola today. My motor had a misfire problem and has been to Audi three times, first time they reset the ecu, second time they changed the coil on cylinder three, third time the changed the ecu. l had the car indepentantly checked and they said the misfire was there still. lve had it on the road today and been running it at the rev range of 5000-6000 where the misfire happened. l cant see anything yet but will be doing this for a few days yet where l can then say lm happy. Now theres speculation on here that cylinder 3 is a high compression cylinder. Theres also been guys that have had the injectors changed, to good effect. if the misfire rears its head again l really dont know what audi will do coz they have beat about the bush and done other things. Just how much more can the say is at fault before they get to the injectors? l would rather be done and put new ones in myself but its still under warranty. I have GIAC race and a panel filter also uprated pump, but this was all done after the first instance.