Mineral oil for running in, anyone know what grade?

slowcoach3

Reaction score
Hi all, my rods are going in on sunday so I need some oil, I know I need mineral but does anyone know what grade is preferable? Cheers

Cheers Dave, thats about the most unlikely answer ever! Everything else in a build is always the most expensive version lol

Cheers Dave, thats about the most unlikely answer ever! Everything else in a build is always the most expensive version lol

Get a second opinion of course but thats how i have always done it, although they are actual ruuning in oils sae 30 by miller for example, what running in method are you choosing?

cheap tesco or asda oil.
the point of the cheap oil is that it still lubricates the engine safely but allows maximum bedding in of the rings/bearings etc.
Then you put the extra slippery good synthetic in and its a peach

Reactions: slowcoach3
Thats a more eloquent way of putting how I understood it, off to Tescos then!
I'm going to take thr hard approach that Karl and Bill suggested, whi h I think goes:
Drive it hard with lots of acceleration and decelleration but not holding high revs consistantly for 20 miles, drop the oil and change the filter. Refil with fresh mineral and drive for another 750 odd miles using the same kind of technique then stick in fully synth and enjoy the fruits of your labour.All this will be done with the n75 unplugged as the turbo has been tweaked and has an uprated actuator. Off to Bills on the 24th so should be able to really enjoy it after that :)

Reactions: Gops, s3dave and superkarl