1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Milltek exausts ?

killa_z Oct 20, 2007

1. killa_z

killa_z Couped Out

am going to go for a milltek cat back exaust system for my 3.2 V6, just wanted general opinions on people who have chosen and fitted miltek to their cars (not necessarily a 3.2, any a3!),

how did you find the sound (louder/quiter, higher/lower pitched etc) and
    performance (power increase, throttle response) difference?

2. A3simon

A3simon Active Member

I found they are quite a poor fit. As for noise there is a small increase if you go for resonated and bigger if you go for non resonated. You will get 0 power increase from a cat back and throttle respense will be minimum

3. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

In conjunction with a 3" downpipe like on my cousin's tt, it sounds UNREAL!! I'm gettin a resonated Milltek for my A3 2.0 TDI sportback

4. Boydie

Boydie Guest

I fitted a cat back milltek to myt 2.0tdi and I have to say it was a pretty much perfect fit!

all i had to do was get some industrial sized cable ties to line it up the way i wanted it!

noise wise - its not very loud but I thought it would have been a lot louder but I am happy.

Performance - i am not sure if it does much performance wise to be honest!

5. N8

Where did you get yours from boydie? Is it cat-back? Who fitted it? How much?

Thanks

Nath

6. rich1068

rich1068 Member

I had a Blueflame downpipe, 100CEL Cat and Milltek back fitted to my last motor. Never had any problems with the fit. Sound wise I would have said it was very Bowfer friendly, you knew it was there but it wasn't really obvious. The tone was a little deeper and someone in the know would recognise the difference but not far off stock. The impression I get is that Milltek don't do nasty, noisy exhausts.

7. Boydie

Boydie Guest

I got my exhaust from Sarah at Awesomegti

think it cost me £325 delivered or there abouts

Myself and a mate fitted it - easy enough job! just trust your jack :p

8. killa_z

killa_z Couped Out

was going to fit myself (along with my brother), so long as its a straight swap for the stock one it shouldnt be too bad

i wasnt after a loud exaust by any means so this thread has reassured me

im still suprised that there seems to be ZERO power gains (from what people have said), i would have presumed the exaust system would be involved in that

now to buy one, anyone know the cheapest place to get one of these things, for a 3.2 quattro in particular?

9. Boydie

Boydie Guest

awesomegti - they have a 10% ASN members discount

or there is another company called ICJ i think - google them

10. N8

You are a good source for information! It is catback?? Resonated?

11. Boydie

Boydie Guest

catback and resonated - the louder one! and being the louder one, i don't even think there is much of a note

the only difference between the resonated and non is that the resonated exhaust only has one silencer!

12. emzino

emzino Active Member

For a TDI, would you recommend non-resonated to get rid of the tractor style noise or would it then become too loud =/

Not after something that sounds like a petrol engine but want it to have the deep burble

13. Boydie

Boydie Guest

you wont get a burble from either exhaust to be honest but if you get a resonated one, the woosh noise will be louder

14. N8

£325 sounds good 2 me boydie.

15. Spin140

Spin140 Well-Known Member

I had the full turbo back system on both my Golf 150PD and one of my A3 2.0tdi, both times I went for non-resonated. Not loud at all and a perfect fit each time, quite an easy DIY if you have either access to ramps or decent trolley jacks.

16. killa_z

killa_z Couped Out

cheapest im finding for my car is ooking at around £425-£475!!!

17. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

So people spend £400(ish) on something that offers a bit more noise, but nothing much else?

Jesus H christ...

18. emzino

emzino Active Member

You do get some marginal gains but the biggest advantage comes when remapping the car.

The Miltek coupled with a remap (and an induction kit) will help alot.

19. killa_z

killa_z Couped Out

is exactly what i recently learned! so does seem worthwhile

anything which betters the cars system/reliability even if there is no aesthetic or performance upgrade is always worthwhile IMO

guess this is a reply to bowfer moreso than myself

20. emzino

emzino Active Member

Woow I made a worth while post =D I knew I learnt something after my countless posts full of questions :friends:

21. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

I'm still trying to figure out how a Milltek will improve the car's reliability...
    Some claim that.

22. killa_z

killa_z Couped Out

although its from the milltek site itself
    'This CAT-back system utilises a awesome free flow system.....backed up by our lifetime warranty'
    sounds pretty reliable to me, not to mention it does look better than the stock one imo, i did also mention bettering of the cars system (not just reliability) which im sure this will do even if it is slight

23. AwesomeSarah

AwesomeSarah Member

Hi
    The Milltek exhaust is a larger bore so this will improve the gas flow
    The sports cat has 200cell cat
    The cat has little honeycombes on the inside of it , a standard one has 400 cells per centimetere (IIRC) so with the 200 cells then this will again give better air flow
    Cor this is making me think now ;)
    But yes as it is stainless steel it will come with a good warranty to it
    Had a fair few exhausts drop off in my time :(
    Sarah

24. emzino

emzino Active Member

There are such things as 100cell CAT's right which are still MOT proof. But they come at a hefty price - is that correct?

25. AwesomeSarah

AwesomeSarah Member

Hi
    Some models and manufacurers do have 100 cell cats
    Now these have been tried and failed , some have triumphed
    The problem is getting a happy medium for the immisions and the gas flow
    But yes you are right , in fact Milltek have got a few 100cell cats
    Some are when they have twin cats , so 2 X 100 cells = 200cells so that may be what helps?
    Dunno? but it seems relevant to me ;)
    Sarah