Milltek and drive shaft problems!!

Cookie013

Reaction score
Hello, over the past week I've been hearing a horrible grinding noise coming from the front of my car, so last night I took a look and found this:

dpo9.jpg

i haven't adjusted the ride high for a long time and haven't added any thing new to the car. Does anyone know what could be happening?

Ouch, that looks like it could end up being expensive.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that they can crack over time so check to make sure yours haven't, see this thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/107900-milltek-problem.html

For the exhaust to drop that much therehas to be a problem with the way the exhaust is tethered or with the exhaust itself. Ride height shouldn't really have any bearing on this..

Ouch, that looks like it could end up being expensive.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that they can crack over time so check to make sure yours haven't, see this thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/107900-milltek-problem.html

For the exhaust to drop that much therehas to be a problem with the way the exhaust is tethered or with the exhaust itself. Ride height shouldn't really have any bearing on this..

That's what I was thinking :(

ok thanks I will have a look I'm taking it to a garage later on as well.

I was thinking that but it isn't blowing or any thing. I wasn't sure if it did or not.

Only other thing that could potentially give is the exhaust downpipe locating pins, if the bracket that holds that on cracked your exhaust would sound fine but the exhaust would drop back/down

Milltek are now supplying a powerflex dog mount bush with every downpipe due to rubbing issues - have you got one fitted?

Seems odd that it's not even close to touching in the photo, yet it obviously has been rubbing very recently? Do you just hear the noise under hard acceleration or gear changes?

Only other thing that could potentially give is the exhaust downpipe locating pins, if the bracket that holds that on cracked your exhaust would sound fine but the exhaust would drop back/down

That is true dude thanks for the info I will keep this updated with what the problem is.

Milltek are now supplying a powerflex dog mount bush with every downpipe due to rubbing issues - have you got one fitted?

Seems odd that it's not even close to touching in the photo, yet it obviously has been rubbing very recently? Do you just hear the noise under hard acceleration or gear changes?

No I haven't had it fitted.

That's because it's jacked up in the picture. It's under slight acceleration and when I turn the steering wheel.

As Warren states, I suspect just a positioning adjustment will fix that, but check for any damage 1st, maybe worth removing & stressing the area of the damage to make sure its not got a hairline.

I have also got rubbing marks on my Milltek downpipe and the matching mark on front drivers side drive shaft, it doesnt make a noise as your describing but looks exactly the same, Have you got your car sat low?

It's all fixed now thanks for the help lads! It ended up being the dog bone mount had broken yet again, but this time it was kept tight up with my slam panel on the bottom of the car so i couldn't feel the movement but It could move enough to hit the drive shaft! It's just the low life I guess.

I will have to get mine checked! how can you check the dog bone mount m8?

You can either get it on a ramp (much easier) or jack it up both sides take the plastic tray off the bottom or skid plate depending on what you have and it's the mount from the gear box to the sub fame. Just check all three bolts to make sure there tight.