Miles to Empty - Capped?

a3_phil

Reaction score
Just wondered if there's a hard cap on the miles to empty figure?

It's routinely showing ~585mi for me after filling (second click on pump) but the range doesn't usually then drop until I've driven 20-30 miles.

Has anyone seen a higher range figure (specifically on the 2WD diesel as I think the quattro has a different sized thank anyway)?

Mine was stuck on 435 for ages the other day after filling up. Petrol engine for me tho

A3_phil, ive noticed this too, never more or less than 585 predicted miles. Everything you described is the same in mine.
Mine is 2l diesel 2wd

I think it's working it out based on the average MPG. Mine would get a range showing 390 miles and I could get a decent 20-30 miles before it moved. My average mpg was showing under 32 mpg but now that it's now over 32 the range now shows 425 at every fill up which is more realistic.

Could be.
I recently had work done which involved disconnecting the battery, it reset all of my mpgs, i filled up not long after and it predicted 585 still

Most I've seen (with quattro's larger 55l tank rather than 50l) is 630 miles range after filling up. Most I've actually driven is 580 miles (with 20 or so to go).

I'll ask my friend what he sees on his 150 as he has a very motorway based journey regularly getting 60+ mpg.

610 I've seen on my 1.6tdi. My long term average on the trip computer is exactly 60.0 mpg, just coming up to 20k miles now and with warmer weather it's getting better.

After filling up to the second click on the pump, I get shown a value of 465 miles. This has increased from 425 miles which is what it was showing when I bought the car and filled it up full. Can usually drive somewhere between 20-30 miles before it moves from 465.

I can get my S3 to say over 400 miles on the range indicator when I fill up, truth is I never get that, closest I've had is 360 or maybe a bit more on a long motorway run through Europe (average mpg displayed was 40mpg sticking to about 80mph in efficiency mode). The lowest I've ever dared to let the tank get was 5 miles left on the range indicator and the red led turned off on the petrol gauge, could of pushed on as I only managed to put 50 litres in when I refilled (it's got a 55 litre tank). Like someone said it all depends how u drive and your mpg, I generally average about 300 miles with around 27mpg displayed (normal daily driving), the fuel makes a difference too, I find using fuel with less than 98 Ron I get less miles, so I try to always use 102 Ron to get better results (feels more responsive too).

Edit: forgot to mention I typically always have the engine and s-tronic set to dynamic.

Last edited:
i hope you guys understan my km stuff. 1.6 TDI
I usually do a lot of city driving so my fuel consumption is high, around 6.5L/100Km
Everytime I refill i usually do it after a trip of around 80km (going and coming included is 160Km.)
So when I refill over the other place it says 700Km. After 80 Km of driving coming home computer says 720Km... because long trips eat less fuel than city driving it recalculates the average. In the end if I drive till the tank its empty I can only do about 600Km with one tank.
Had anyone had that experience?

Then after some days like 3 or 4 standing still at 720, it goes down pretty fast because of city driving.

Filled up our S3 with Shell V-Power Nitro last week and the range was 425 miles. On the way to work with half a tank of fuel and travelling behind a lorry the MPG on the fuel computer read 48.3mpg when i got to work.

For Gods sake - who cares!

This maybe explains why most people drive like complete tits, unable to accelarate, brake
, change lanes to accomodate. I'm now convinced it's because of povs / tight cnuts driving while watching the fuckimg fuel, economy! Pathetic....

Yeah, thanks for the thread derail guys. This wasn't intended as a 'what MPG' thread as there's already loads of those.

Oh and Nervus, wind your neck in.

Reactions: 0B1001001
For Gods sake - who cares!

This maybe explains why most people drive like complete tits, unable to accelarate, brake
, change lanes to accomodate. I'm now convinced it's because of povs / tight cnuts driving while watching the fuckimg fuel, economy! Pathetic....

I do. :racer:

I honsetly have no idea what range, or mileage I get. I suppose if I had to commute I would know but surely driving hard (when/ if possible) Vs driving like a fanny can only be worth £5 / tank! probably less in modern Diesels so not worth thinking about IMO.

I hear all the sales peeps chatting t mileage all the time and I wonder why they care when they can claim 45p/ mile!!

I honsetly have no idea what range, or mileage I get. I suppose if I had to commute I would know but surely driving hard (when/ if possible) Vs driving like a fanny can only be worth £5 / tank! probably less in modern Diesels so not worth thinking about IMO.

I hear all the sales peeps chatting t mileage all the time and I wonder why they care when they can claim 45p/ mile!!
Ive driven places and got around 15mpg and others over 30mpg so probably more than a fiver

Mine seems to get stuck at a value for a while after a fill up then after 30 miles or so it changes. Seems like the fuel sensor is below the fill line?

MPG on the 1.4 COD are lower than I was expecting - 39mpg on average really (a lot of town driving), going up to about 44 when hitting M and A roads.

I'm not economical in the slightest though so I'm happy with 39. Dynamic mode, AC on, music turned up, heavy foot etc.

Driving to achieve a better mpg is probably MORE safe IMO (obviously not with eyes fixed on the gauge!). A bit more engine braking and predictive driving rather than erratic start/stop all the time. Honestly, you'd think some people don't realise the car doesn't always need the foot to be placed on either the throttle or brake. Anticipation is key.

Anyhow, like the OP on my last few cars I seem to remember getting almost a 'default' figure of miles to empty when i fill up which tends to sort itself out over the next 20 or so miles. Whether this is based on my lifetime mpg or recent mpg i'm not sure, I seem to be fairly consistent to 34mpg average so hard to tell.

Most I've seen (with quattro's larger 55l tank rather than 50l) is 630 miles range after filling up. .
Just refilled at the end of a long motorway journey in perfect conditions where car averaged 64mpg on the DIS and the range after refuelling was 620 miles. Can't see me beating that so perhaps I was mistaken with the earlier 630 figure.

Car seems to be loosening up a bit (4500 miles) but certainly likes the warmer weather, never done 60+ both ways before.

Confession time:

I get so bored when driving in traffic that I have played the adrenalin game for many years...
...how far can you drive your car on 'empty' before you chicken out and fill it up with fuel.

When the red light comes on, it really gets your adrenalin pumping and makes an otherwise boring drive much more exciting.
The more miles you go into the red, the more you panic - putting it into eco, turning off the air blower, turning off the stereo and finally the lights just to get the best economy possible.

A whole new dimension is when there is a passenger in the car, and you tell them what you're doing... their panic really spices it up!!!

I see 40 miles between the red light coming on, and the range reading 0
I can get an additional 20 miles past that before I chicken out and fill the car up.
The most fuel I have got into the tank is 52 litres.

The Orignal question as far as I see it is that when you get the two clicks you have filled the tank and the filler pipe possibly extra litre or so of fuel, so until the fuel levels gets down into the tank and allows the fuel sensor to see a drop in level it will think you have 50litres of fuel in the car multiply by your average fuel consumption is your range.

I think that it still might cap the range, given that 585 miles is only 54mpg on the 50l tank and 620 is <52mpg on a 55l tank.

I think its very likely that you can put more fuel in than the sensor can read. On our A1 you can fo 60-100 mile before the range starts to drop.