1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mileage Dilemma!

WILLK Jan 15, 2008

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

Duh, because I'm still an A3 owner.
    The Alpina doesn't come for a few weeks yet.
    Other members asking the same question?
    Let me guess, spitting the dummy S3 owners when I have a pop at their chav exhausts?
    Quite frankly, f*** 'em.

2. Moisty

Moisty Guest

3. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Active Member

Having opposing views has surely got to be a good thing? Promotes thoughts and discussion? At least he has an audi...

4. Moisty

Moisty Guest

Differing views, absolutely.

But constant whingeing, you just end up thinking, well piss off then!

5. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

So you don't like loud exhausts either?
    Good man.

6. Moisty

Moisty Guest

Love 'em

:asskicking:

7. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Never heard such ****. You will always be financially better off with a diesel.
    I think getting 600+ miles to a tank slightly overrides the 5p a litre difference, and a similar differential on the business miles.
    What bizarre calculations have you done to come to this mental conclusion?

8. Moisty

Moisty Guest

:wtf: How on earth can you comment on whether that is **** or not. You have no idea about my personal or business situation.
    You have no idea how much I claim for a diesel or petrol.

Why don't you just wind your neck in and stop using terminology like **** and mental on a subject you cannot possibly know anything about.

If a diesel was better for me, I would have said "a diesel is financially better for me"

You are one rude boy.

9. AndyMac

Yes and your lovely message you sent me was so courteous, must have taken ages to come up with such beautiful terminology.
    Sorry if I struck a nerve, but you'd have to be claiming 50% more for petrol over diesel just to break even, in which case the 5p per litre more at the pumps is kind of irrelevant. If you're running it as a company car you'll be getting completely screwed on the emissions as well, so either way it doesn't add up.

10. marriedblonde

When I was working in southampton, many moons ago, I never had a company car or car allowance but the fuel allowance was very good. For a petrol it was somthing like 60p a mile for a diesel it was around half. So in that instance I was better off for having a petrol car...

11. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

12. AndyMac

I think the key there is the fact it was "many moons ago". Many moons ago it was worth having a company car. Many moons ago I only paid £100 a month for a company Golf GTi and fuel card. Things have changed quite a bit in the last few years. One of my mates pays over £500 in tax per month to run an S type Jag as a company car. If he'd opted for the Passat TDi it would be around £200.
    Also unless you didn't do any personal mileage, and didn't use the car to get to work, you'd still be offsetting the benefit of business miles against the downside of financing your personal miles. Even if your business mileage was twice your personal you'd only break even. Couple that with the fact you can only be paid up to 40p per mile tax free anyway then you've got to take into account the tax & NIC on anything over that.
    Even if you were paid 40p per mile petrol and 20p per mile diesel, you can still claim the tax on the difference back from the IR anyway, so you'd still be better off in the diesel.
    I can't think of one scenario where you'd be financially better off running a petrol, unless you have some bizarre situation where you do no personal mileage, it's not a company car and the business mileage is hugely skewed in favour of petrol, and you couldn't be arsed to claim the difference. If that's the case then it's hardly a typical scenario.

13. neil.c

neil.c Senior

I can't see it either

14. mister.c.

mister.c. Active Member TeamMisano Audi A3

:idea:

Lets have a thread which keeps on topic and doesn't disintegrate :fart:

15. Moisty

Moisty Guest

I am very pleased about that.

16. Moisty

Moisty Guest

Nice backtracking, but not quite convincing!

As I have said, I know my circumstances and I am better off in a petrol. End of!

17. phantom

phantom On Boost

Don't you mean petrol mate? hehehe

p

18. Moisty

Moisty Guest

Bar Steward!! LOL

Just testing!

:)

19. marriedblonde

Many moons ago because I no longer work for the company(although I believe the allowances haven't changed!). I left in 2000 which even then I dont think a company car was such a benefit? I know I took the car allowance as I was better off...

20. AndyMac

I'm convinced, but without knowing your secret set of circumstances which would seem to defy both mathematics and the taxman then we can only assume it's either dodgy or wrong.

21. Moisty

Moisty Guest

Now that is better, rather than my statement being **** and me being stupid, you are now admitting your ridiculous rant came from an (ignorant) assumption. I am sure you assumption must be correct and if you think it is dodgy, then I am sure it must be. I will ask the powers that be in the FTSE100 company that I work for so sort out this secret dodgy procedure as there is a guy on an Audi internet forum that says it is wrong and he must surely be right? Not only is he right but he is CONVINCED he is right, how about that then?

If you had the ability to do the maths then I would bother explaining. But if your maths skills match your social skills, there really would be no point.

So you carry on assuming and I will carry on knowing the facts and laughing at you.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.