Michelin Pilot Sport 2 v Dunlop?

steve w

Reaction score
Coming up to 20k on my Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres (235/40/18) and thinking of changing to the Michelins.

I drove a similar spec. S line A4 with these on recently and was surprised how much more compliant they were compared to the Dunlops. It was a treat not to have to avoid drain covers, cats eyes and pot holes!

The only thing I'm not sure about is that don't seem to have much protection against contact with kerbs. The tyre is almost flush with the rim, whereas the Dunlops have a rubbing strip on the side wall. This has definately prevented damage to the alloys on at least a couple of occassions.

Can anyone comment please?

Thanks in advance.

Dunlps are almost done and I'm still edging towards the Michelins.

Can any one give any reason why I shouldn't do it? Are they as good as the reviews say they are?

Thanks.

I have always found that the sidewalls go first in michelins so end up with a soggy ride with loads of tread left.

Personaaly I prefer Dunlop Sp sport 2000e I have sport 01s at the moment but dont find them particularly good in the wet the 2000Es are better. so when i change thats whats going back on

I like Uniroyals for wet handling but never had them on an audi so dont know how they fair and there expensive.

M

I have the PS2's on mine and can not rate them high enough they are really good! The where £150 each thou which i thought was good

Coming up to 20k on my Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres (235/40/18) and thinking of changing to the Michelins.

I drove a similar spec. S line A4 with these on recently and was surprised how much more compliant they were compared to the Dunlops. It was a treat not to have to avoid drain covers, cats eyes and pot holes!

The only thing I'm not sure about is that don't seem to have much protection against contact with kerbs. The tyre is almost flush with the rim, whereas the Dunlops have a rubbing strip on the side wall. This has definately prevented damage to the alloys on at least a couple of occassions.

Can anyone comment please?

Thanks in advance.

I avoid dunlops like the plague. I seem to get more punctures with them and had a nasty blow out in 1980. Fortunately our 2 Audis came with michelin and Continental. Both great so far.:blackrs4:

Many thanks for the comments.

Looks like the Michelins have it.