MFSW + Sports trip tronic wheel = MFTTSW or something.

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
I was waiting for parts to arrive, RNS-d install to finish and fit my facelift clocks (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/134267-small-project.html).
Now that its all done I can start this project and since its winter it seems like the best project to do during the winter.

Thanks to Tom_B for the Trip Tronic steering wheel.

Thanks to @udiA3 for the MFSW from his A6 C5 breaker.

This all the bits I need/want from the MWFS.

All of that needs to go in to this.............maybe.

I'm thinking of putting the buttons here.

The airbag will need to cut to sink the buttons. On the MFSW will there is brackets that they screw in to. Transferring these over might be a bit of a pain and take up more room, so I'm thinking of bonding them to the airbag. I don't think that's affected when the air bag goes off, so it should be fine.

Trying to the fit the button control module (I think that's what it is called. I'll find out later.) in side the wheel will be hard and I don't think it will be needed. If I can find the slip ring with the most pins (I need 12 I think) I should be able to relocate the module to the dash but if I can't find a slip ring that has 12 pins I will need to rethink this a little bit.

I got the radio only relay that came with the MFSW and if I remember correctly I should be fine for now to just control the stereo but future ideas will require the Can-bus unit but I need to double check that.

The future MFTTSW is blue and I'm not having that. I need to redye the leather and plasti dip the airbag. I think that's the best way but that's something else i can look in to.

That's it for now.
I'll have a play with week and let you know how I get one.

The slip ring wont have 12 pins, thats why the modules in the wheel. It takes all the switch signals and joins them together.

The slip ring wont have 12 pins, thats why the modules in the wheel. It takes all the switch signals and joins them together.

There is only one pin difference between keeping it in the wheel and outside.

Do you know how many pins some of the slip rings have?

Doing a little bit more research on slip rings and reading the info on this post http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/195806-slip-rings.html.
It would seem I need this ring.
1J0959654MRETURN SPRING WITH SLIP RING AND STEERING ANGLE SENSOR FOR STEERING WHEEL WITH TRIPTRONIC CONTROLS.

I'm basing this on counting the pins on the slip ring.

4B0951543B
RETURN SPRING WITH SLIP RING FOR MULTI-FUNCT. STEER. WHEEL FOR STEERING WHEEL HEATED. Only has 5/6 pints.
110156_x800.jpg

1J0959654M
RETURN SPRING WITH SLIP RING AND STEERING ANGLE SENSOR FOR STEERING WHEEL WITH TRIPTRONIC CONTROLS. Has 10 pins.
DSCN4914

I doubt very much there is a 10+ pin slip ring out there. As most extras would be using canbus which is only 2 cables and 2 power cables.
One thing I did not think about yesterday was power and illumination. Both buttons will need the normal 2 power cables and 1 for illumination, I guess. that's 3 cables gone already, so I should only need 9 pins. which works out right.

I need to sit down with the wiring diagrams later and double that.
I'll do that and report back.

I had a look in Elsawin and got a my self a bit confused.

The MFSW is from a A6 C5 on a 99 plate.
Had a look on Elsa and it's talking about duel colour cables but theses are solid Red, white, black and yellow.
Not sure if I missed something.

Is anyone able to take a look and see what of the 4 cables coming from the MFSW module to the slip ring do or where they go?

ETKA doesnt show you the wire colors inside the wheel.

It just shows the wheel as a function block, including the slip ring, and only shows you the connections between the car and the slip ring.

ETKA doesnt show you the wire colors inside the wheel.

It just shows the wheel as a function block, including the slip ring, and only shows you the connections between the car and the slip ring.

Ok, so I just need the cable colours/pins from the slip ring to the function block/module thingy.

EDIT: WTF was I doing looking for inside the wheel, when all I need is the cables that goes from it. Dump *** :(

Last edited:
Thanks to Aragorn the correct slip ring part number has been located.
Part number 1J0959654AL.
Its a Multi Function, Trip Tronic and heated.
$T2eC16V,!zkFJCqic,gcBS(TVJvYN!~~60_12.JPG

I wont be getting the trip tronic to fully work at the moment. I need a new selector box and TMC for the auto box. So all that can wait till I replace the box or I get board.

For now I'll forget the trip but I'll hopefully get the buttons lighting up.

The multi function side of it I'm trying to set up and test on the bench.
I think I worked out the labels for the J453 relay.

5 = Remote cable to pin 11 in the stereo 20 pin plug.
6 = K line
10 = Earth
12 = Positive
13 = Positive
15 = Illumination
18 = MF power/remote.

The bit I'm a little bit stuck is the cabling for this.

Elsa lists 2 pin plug for the wheel (I think) but one of them is earth and looking at the unit earth is not part of the plug, its out on its own.
In the black plug there will be power and remote (I assume) but which is which?

With the wiring sorted out on the bench I started to cut the Triptronic air bag up to fit the buttons.

Several hours later with a sharp knife, a pen and its almost in. Little bit more to take off.

And its in. Its really hard to get the edge right and curves to match. This is the best I could do.

The switches fit really in. There is no cutting needed on steering wheel side.

You can see where I've taken a little bit to much away but its not that noticeable when looking at it head on.

Several hours later again and I have two in.

Next is to strip the colour out of the leather, dye it black and Plasti dip the rubber black.
it looks like the air bag blue colour coating is starting to peel and bubble in place. I need to find away to remove that with out effecting the plastic/rubber underneath to much. I'll have a play with that in time.

Waiting on a sleep ring to support the needed cables then I can do the wiring on the car side.

Reactions: PAULF
You are undoubtably a genius Scott. A slightly eccentric one but nevertheless entirely brilliant. You do realise we are all going to want this in our cars now?

Reactions: ScottD3
You are undoubtably a genius Scott. A slightly eccentric one but nevertheless entirely brilliant. You do realise we are all going to want this in our cars now?

Not sure everyone but hopefully it will fit and work.
I don't think it looks too bad.
the buttons are not a easy reach but closer than pressing the buttons on the stereo.

Need to wire everything up now.

I sat down last weekend cleaned all the old dye, oils and other contaminants off the leather ready for recolouring.
Been looking at this product Leather Recolouring but not sure.
Anyone got any recommendations?

I also sat down and stripped off all the old peeling blue rubber coating off the air bag.
Hopefully I'll plasti dip it this weekend to turn it black.

I need to strip down the trip-tronic buttons as well.
Not sure how to do that.

Hi I read the post and .... very very hard job you have done !I also want to make the same thing to my wheel , but i still don't understand how you make the connection between TRW ( 2 pin plug ) through STEERING ANGLE SENSOR and SLIP RING to the relay. Can you give me some wiring diagram ? I will be thankfull!!! 10x in advance :)

Hi I read the post and .... very very hard job you have done !I also want to make the same thing to my wheel , but i still don't understand how you make the connection between TRW ( 2 pin plug ) through STEERING ANGLE SENSOR and SLIP RING to the relay. Can you give me some wiring diagram ? I will be thankfull!!! 10x in advance :)
You are not the only one waiting for Scott to reply on your question . I'm in a similar situation as you. I installed a MFSW together with a slip ring, so I'd like to know what and where to wire from the steering wheel to the relay, and from the relay to the radio. So Scott if you are reading this please help us with something, diagram or maybe write us and give us a lesson .
Thanks

Georgi post was 4 years ago, and the OP's thread was 8 years ago. It's unlikely Scott still has this information!

Georgi post was 4 years ago, and the OP's thread was 8 years ago. It's unlikely Scott still has this information!
I figured it out before I start texting. But I wanted to give a try because I dont know how to solve my problem. "Only when you ask, you may get an answer" thats how they say =).