1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

metal on metal clunk sound on slow maneuvering

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by bumnut, Feb 21, 2013.

1. bumnut

bumnut New Member

Hi all, i've been having a fairly subtle metal on metal sound coming from somewhere.. can't pinpoint it as it only happens when moving and the mrs doesn't drive. I thought it might be the bushes excessivly worn and have change the front drop links, arb bushes and bottom end and it's still the same. I don't have access to anything other than a couple of axle stands and ramps so getting a good look under the car is very difficult.

any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks
  2. Alan H

Alan H Need a V8 or Bi-Turbo.......

Could be a gearbox mount..
  3. bumnut

bumnut New Member

how would i check if the mounts are ok? just a case of giving the gearbox a good wiggle and see if it seems excessivly loose?
  4. Alan H

Alan H Need a V8 or Bi-Turbo.......

It's usually the gearbox cradle one that's gone, the one that sells for about a ton on good old bay of the e. It really needs to go on a ramp to confirm though I would suspect. Someone else may no of an easier way to check though.
  5. marktdisport

marktdisport Active Member

My rear gearbox mount disintegrated causing a heavy knock which could be felt by your left foot area of the gearbox tunnel
  6. Dubbers1

Dubbers1 Top Gear

I had a knock like this a while back and turned out to be the front drop links, only £15 on ebay for a pair with new bolts

Just had a knocking when parking and turning the wheel while moving slow