metal knocking noise at low speed

adam1314

Reaction score
My 58 reg A3 starts to give various problems now.

A couple of days ago, the battery is dead.

Yesterday I noticed that there is metal knocking noise when driving at gear 1 or 2. The noise seems even stronger when I turned the steering wheel but I can't hear it at speed over 30 mph.

I also notice there is a cracked part under my car on the driver side. Is this a drive shaft? Is it the cause of the noise? How much to get it replaced?

I need to use my car every day and can I still drive it? Is it not safe to do so?

Attachments

• IMG_2840.JPG
    IMG_2840.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
is this a cracked driveshaft or only the housing of the driveshaft is cracked?

I think you should get a new one as quick asap before it fails and causes other damage to your car, you, or someone else.

I think you should get a new one as quick asap before it fails and causes other damage to your car, you, or someone else.

Thank you for your reply. I was shocked when I saw the picture and I do not dare to drive. I though the driveshaft is cracked but in fact only the housing is cracked and the driveshaft is still ok. The mechanics at F1 autocentre garage had a look at my car and just removed the cracked housing and check with his supervisor told me it is safe to drive and they didn't find any problem at all. Just told me if you hear some unusual noise, just pop. Back and we will check again.