1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mercedes E-Class 320 Estate - AutoGlym's Clay kit 'review'

Discussion in 'Detailing - Sponsored by Slim's Detailing' started by Jimmeh, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

Yet another Merc!

This one’s a nice Protection Detail with some Interior and Leather work. Similar spec to the E320 saloon I did earlier this week – http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7657

So..

Products
    • AutoGlym Super-Resin Polish
    • AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection
    • AutoGlym FastGlass
    • AutoGlym Clay kit
    • AutoGlym Rapid Detailer
    • AutoSmart TARDIS
    • AutoSmart G101
    • AutoSmart Brisk
    • Chemical Guys Maxi-Suds II
    • Jeffs Werkstat PRIME
    • Gliptone Liquid Leather
    • Meguiars Last-Touch
    • Meguiars Super-Degreaser
    • ValetPRO Snowfoam

AutoGlym making a comeback appearance!

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Inspection photos..

Not bad – a big grubby in places. Interior was scuffed and pretty soiled due to making the school run everyday. Worst areas on the exterior were the lower sills – COVERED in tar and stubborn build-up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior inspection..

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All three of the recent Mercedes’ I’ve worked on have had the same issue with the tarnished/milky window trim and chrome.. Werkstat Prime stood up to the issue and sorted the problem each and every time :).

Wheels rinsed. Super-Degreaser into arches and on the tyre-walls. G101 on the wheels face and deep into the rim (Wheel Brightener would have eaten into this one.. a polished/shiney/bling finish) and various brushes/mitts used to clean.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Next up, as the shuts and sills weren’t too bad and could be dry-wiped, I pressure rinsed the car and applied the snowfoam.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Then taken off bottem to top:

[​IMG]

Maxi SUDS II used for the shampoo solution. (giving the DoDo a rest..)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Re-foamed with the leftovers and washed via the two-bucket method.

[​IMG]

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

Something tells me my washmit is ready for the bin..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gross.

Tar was everywhere on this one.. Took an AGE to remove it all from all four corners..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Microfibre used with the Tardis before and after..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, quite considerable pick up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, time to try the new AutoGlym Surface Detailing Clay Kit that I won :)

[​IMG]

Open the box, and..

[​IMG]

Oh, more than a clay bar! I see..

We have a polishing cloth (which I personally hate.. sorry!) and a nice microfibre. Some Super-Resin Polish, Detailing Clay and Rapid Detailer that acts as the spray lube.

For ~£24, not a bad collection to be fair.

[​IMG]

So, to touch, the Merc was pretty rough. I always think claying lighter coloured cars has more benefit than a dark car..? Why? I’ve no idea.. Just seems to show the ‘cleanliness’ a bit a better afterwards.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Overall, the pick-up wasn’t too bad. But, how did the clay perform?

Well, it’s quite soft! That’s the first thing I noticed. It moulded easily into a ‘ready-to-work’ piece straight out of the packet. My Sonus Green, however, would take a few minutes worth of kneading in readiness to work. The Rapid Detailer, yeah, it’s OK. Very slimy and acted as a great lubricant for the clay bar. I wouldn’t, however, like to use it as a sole means of quick detailing; it seems very greasy and would be too worried about oily holograms/smears?! Just my thoughts..

Due to the clay’s ‘softness’, I struggled to keep it in a workable shape/size. One thing I’ve never struggled with with the Sonus Green clay... As shown in the picture above, it thins out pretty easily and before you knows it, is like a stringy bit of chewing gum. Anyone else find this slightly annoying?

Don’t get me wrong, it did the job, it’s easy to work with and the Detailer spray helps the clay slide no end.. Bundled with the clothes and Super-Resin, it doesn’t make a bad starter kit. Not sure if in time the Detailer spray would be quite costly.. I used a good amount of it on the one car and at £8 a pop, I think I’d get through it at an alarming rate.

Can anyone comment on the Rapid Detailers QD ability? Does it streak?!

Coupling the de-tar and claying efforts, the car (as hoped) was left clean, sharp and already quite presentable.

[​IMG]

Car was given a good rinse to clear the clay-lube residues and dried with an open-hose/Miracle Dryer combination.

I then put my attention to the door shuts and boot sills. Only required a G101 spritz, wide-around and a final buff. They came up pretty well..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kamikaze fly squadron cleared in the wash stages with G101..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On to the cleansing. AG SRP on a blue 3M polishing/finishing pad given a once over..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went on nicely. Came off wonderfully.

Good.

The SRP masked a fair few swirls – unable to capture this however due to the blazing sun and glare thrown off of the silver paint.

To the naked eye, it was near impossible to spot the swirls/finish in the sun’s path. However, whilst wearing some shades, the clarity and flake could be spotted very well indeed.

Waiiiit a minute..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

With the body panel’s cleansed, I moved on to the smaller areas. Alu trim, britework and badges etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mercedes badge before and after..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tailgate underside before and after..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tarnished window trim before and after..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In between this, I put down a coat of AG Extra Gloss Protection to seal things. Buffed off after the hour (even in the scorching heat, it was fine to work with).

[​IMG]

Interior wiped over with damp G101 cloth and dusted down. Mats scrubbed, floorpan hoovered and leather conditioned.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AG EGP buffed off to leave a warm shine, windows polished, tyres dressed (oops, EGP went on the alloys too, this was also buffed) and a general tidy up.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time spent, just under 7 hours. A very nice and overdue freshen up.

Thanks for reading

Jim

6. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

I have always like those E-Class estates, not sure why but I just do lol :)

Interesting write up, I use a lot of AG stuff, so it's interesting to hear your thoughts on their stuff :thumbsup:

7. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

Theres always a place for AG kit on my shelves, James! Especially SRP, very underated product. :)