Reaction score
The new Megane R26R
imagegallery4.jpg

imagegallery6.jpg

imagegallery2.jpg

The fastest front wheel drive road car to lap the Ring

The complete ring lap timed to prove a point for Renault I guess

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/meganer26r/videos/video2.asp

Renaultsport skipped the bit about the cup holders and cut right to the chase – their new beast can lap the Nurburgring as fast as a Porsche 911 or a BMW M3. Nurburgring, once a 13.8 mile Grand Prix track in the Eifel Mountains, Germany, is now the hallowed track for motor manufacturers to test their latest performance machines. The R26.R can lap the twisty circuit in an astonishing 8 minutes 17 seconds, the fastest time for any front wheel drive production car

Developed from the Renaultsport 230 F1 Team R26, the R26.R retains the same 230hp turbocharged engine and six speed gearbox, but with a significant weight reduction of 123kg. This has been achieved by the removal of all non-race essential items, such as the rear seats, curtain airbags, climate control and stereo.

A carbon fibre bonnet (saves 7.5kg), polycarbonate tailgate and rear side windows (saves 5.7kg), as well as body hugging competition seats (saves 25kg) and six-point harnesses, all demonstrate the R26.R's racing DNA.

The suspension has been optimised to make the most of the new, lightweight chassis and to provide maximum performance. Together with a limited slip differential, Renaultsport says it has minimised torque steer and has enabled power to be applied earlier during cornering.

A performance car of this calibre needs brakes that are both powerful and fade-resistant. The R26.R is graced with massive 312mm ventilated and grooved discs at the front with Brembo four-piston calipers that provide stopping power at the highest level.

The heart of every iconic car is its engine, and like its F1 machinery, Renaultsport has pushed the boundaries of engineering to equip the R26.R with a blinder. Full of character and a wide power band, 90% of the engine's torque is available from 2000rpm to 6000rpm, resulting in effortless performance. The dash to 60mph from rest is covered in just 5.9 seconds.

A future classic like the Gordini?

Nope.
It looks god awful, daft shape, now with ridiculous stickers and only 2 seats.:scared2:

Fast? Most probably.
Cool? not IMO

cheers
Paul

The shape is open to interpretation, personally i don't mind it. Renault have produced far more interesting road performance cars than VAG group over the years at an affordable price. R5 Turbo, R5 Raider, R5 Gordini, Maxi, Clio 16v, Clio Williams, Clio V6 and now the racing element has stretched to the Meganes series.

IMO these car were more fun than the Golf Mk3 4 5 or S3, and more kudos would go to someone with a stand out in the crowd Megane, than a follow the crowd car...

With the small options list containing a few other colours and titanium exhaust i think its great for £23,000

In 15-20 years time I think it will be a classic.

Also the ridiculous sticker will be very cool in 15 years time, all those Mk1 fiesta decals, RS1600, XR3i 280 Capri etc are cool now, i think.

The shape is open to interpretation, personally i don't mind it. Renault have produced far more interesting road performance cars than VAG group over the years at an affordable price. R5 Turbo, R5 Raider, R5 Gordini, Maxi, Clio 16v, Clio Williams, Clio V6 and now the racing element has stretched to the Meganes series.

IMO these car were more fun than the Golf Mk3 4 5 or S3, and more kudos would go to someone with a stand out in the crowd Megane, than a follow the crowd car...

With the small options list containing a few other colours and titanium exhaust i think its great for £23,000

In 15-20 years time I think it will be a classic.

Also the ridiculous sticker will be very cool in 15 years time, all those Mk1 fiesta decals, RS1600, XR3i 280 Capri etc are cool now, i think.

What about...

Mk1 Golf
Scirocco(s)
Corrado(s)
MK5 Golf
Golf R32(s)
S3
S4
RS4
RS6
20V AUDI Quattro/Turbo
SW Quattro Turbo
etc...

To be fair you`ve single out the Mk3 and 4 Golf, which are the poorest in the bloodline, even staunch Golf fans will concede that.

VAG have lots of cool cars in their portfolio which are supported by a multi million pound tuning industry and fan base. Proof indeed.

Ive done the French hot hatch thing, R5 GTT (x2, the R5GTT and the Raider are the same car btw) Pug Gtis, AX GT etc..and I completely agree they are superb fun and cool, I just dont think the Megane is cool or any of the recent French offererings for that matter.

I also agree that the old skool FORD decals look very cool, but 20 years is an awful long time to wait just to look cool...

If you can live with the looks Im sure any of the hot Meganes are great value for money, just not for me.

(optional balclava recommended):)

Cheers
Paul

"To be fair you`ve single out the Mk3 and 4 Golf"

To be fair I did include the MK5 and the S3, please re-read my post :sly:. I wouldn't put the Mk1 in the same league as the rest of the Golf or corrado or S3 range as its far better than those models. (In design, Inovation, cult status).

I also know the Raider is the same car just with the different colour on the seats, wheel centres and rear badge (nice blue BTW). I wondered if anyone would pick that up lol.

Is 20 years far off the mark? Is a 20 year old passat or Audi not cooler than a modern dull designs from VAG? :laugh:

In a parallel universe and on a Renault OC forum I wonder if someone posted up a Golf GT or GTI or A3 Sport or S3 and all the replies say how dull it is and uninteresting it is and without french flair its not cool. lol

Mmm. Its a bold statement to say the MK1 is the only real cool car to come out of the VAG stable, but I guess thats your view.

For me the whole `understated`, `efficient`, attributes that many German performance cars exhibit are the very things that make them cool in the first place.

Standing out in a crowd and `cool` are different things IMO.

I just dont see a Megane with shouty stickers as cool no matter how fast it is.
It could do the Ring in in 3mins and I still wouldnt think it was cool.
Just fast, cheap and garish

There have been loads of cool French performance in the past, the Megane just isnt one of them IMO.
20 years time? Who knows?
Now? I dont reckon.

Anyway, Im curious, why anti-VAG on a AUDI site?
I can understand being a VAG fan and still liking the Megane.
DO we have a splinter cell of evangelical infiltrators from the `Ugly French Car Society?:)

Cheers
Paul

Mmm. Its a bold statement to say the MK1 is the only real cool car to come out of the VAG stable, but I guess thats your view.

For me the whole `understated`, `efficient`, attributes that many German performance cars exhibit are the very things that make them cool in the first place.

Standing out in a crowd and `cool` are different things IMO.

I just dont see a Megane with shouty stickers as cool no matter how fast it is.
It could do the Ring in in 3mins and I still wouldnt think it was cool.
Just fast, cheap and garish

There have been loads of cool French performance in the past, the Megane just isnt one of them IMO.
20 years time? Who knows?
Now? I dont reckon.

Anyway, Im curious, why anti-VAG on a AUDI site?
I can understand being a VAG fan and still liking the Megane.
DO we have a splinter cell of evangelical infiltrators from the `Ugly French Car Society?:)

Cheers
Paul

LOL

Don't get me wrong I love Vag cars I have a Baby Audi, a MK1 25 years old and love driving it, and I have owned a few others including some french cars R5 Turbo, 206gti and Clio 16v. Just that out of all the french cars available on the road at the mo, that was the best, and may be considered cool. I don't love it because its french but i also don't dismiss it for the same reasons. (not implying that you are)

I take your point about "Standing out in a crowd and `cool` are different things IMO." But everyone buys a VAG car these days and i thought in a car park outside your office the amount of Audi's and Golfs all start to look a little, dare I say average, but perhaps a single Megane R26R would be a cool change?

Either way I couldn't afford a new S3 or Megane so its kind of irrelevant for me:whistle2:

I like it, I've always thought they have something about them and that looks like fun.
(I do like Italian cars though :icon_thumright:)

God awfull.

Must be very capable on the corners or driven by a living god as its not fast in a straight line by a long shot.

On Toyo R888 rubber it's going to grip like mad. A quick shufty at the stats reveals a 0-62 of 6seconds with a top speed of 147mph. 227bhp with 229lb'ft of torque available at 3k rpm. A quick calc gives it a power to weight ratio of about 185bhp per ton. It's fairly comparable to the S3 (225bhp) which makes 163bhp per ton.

90% of the engine's torque is available from 2000rpm to 6000rpm probably helps!!

It's fairly comparable to the S3 (225bhp) which makes 163bhp per ton.

If I was being cheaky I would say its not comparable to the S3 but better, but that really just asking for abuse back lol.

Also you are right their is no doubt the R26R will be running the R888 tyres from Toyo, but the M3 or 911 won't be on remoulds either, but probably Michelin Pilot Sport or Sport cup +

Maybe quick round the ring, but did they list how many bits fell off the car on its way round!!!! Anyway comparing it to the S3's a tad unfair, as the S3 isnt stripped out and fitted with a roll cage or carbon fibre!!! I've got to say I prefer the look of the megane sport as its slightly less in your face as this is. Understated is better!

I'll let them off! lol. just remember you cant put down class!!:kissmyrings:

It's not meant as a serious comparison just to show that saying it's slow is a little brash.

I didnt say its slow and Im not one who thinks my S3 is the fastest thing out there. My 1.4 Polo was just as quick....

God awfull.

Must be very capable on the corners or driven by a living god as its not fast in a straight line by a long shot.

If you had a go against one in a straight line in a 1.4 Polo the driver was either not even vaguely trying or couldn't even begin to drive

It ain't my cup of tea, maybe if I was 18 again...... Might have been a different story.

EDIT: Uncool.

If you had a go against one in a straight line in a 1.4 Polo the driver was either not even vaguely trying or couldn't even begin to drive

Im talking about my S3. Keep up.

It's quick and different, that's about it. I saw a white one with pink decals and pink wheels at a stealer and thought it was a joke, till i saw there were 3 more with red wheels. It's way too in your face and yea R888 tyres will grip really well, in the dry. As soon as it's slightly moist, you'll be driving like a bmw driver :p