1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mazda RX-8

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AlexStanley, Sep 7, 2003.

1. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

What are everyone's impressions of the RX-8? Having read a bit about them, I'm considering taking one for a test drive when they reach the UK, with a view to maybe replacing the S3?! Not sure...

I wonder what a rotary engine will sound like?
  2. dbm

dbm Active Member

I like the look of them, and the rear-opening doors are a cool idea. There have been a few reviews of them in the press, and the consensus seems to be they are an excellent car.

I'm tempted to go for a test drive too, though I think the lack of torque would be annoying after the S3.

Plus if you want a RWD coupe, then the M3 is hard to beat...

Dan
  3. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

Personally, I think they look a bit too quirky and I think the design will date quickly. That's my opinion.

But its supposed to be a decent drivers car, if you believe the mags.

AL
  4. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

I agree the M3 is hard to beat, but they're also almost twice the price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Besides, I always try to go for something different /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Concerning torque, how much does a stock 210 S3 put out?

I think the front has elements of the Honda S2000 about it (a favourite of mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), and I've seen pictures of the dashboard etc. which I think looks pretty fab actually.

Guess I'll have to wait until they're available and see what they're like - one of my main concerns is what a rotary engine sounds like - I've tried searching around the net but I can't find any sound clips of a rotary engine - typical!
  5. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

Got the brochure and the price list through the post this morning - I'll have a read later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  6. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

[ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    try this!

Its an RX-7... but will sound very similar.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

That just sounds bizarre!
  7. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

Having read more of that site, it would appear that the RX-7 is quite heavily modified - hopefully a stock RX-8 won't sound *quite* as loud as that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  8. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Alex Stanley said:
    Having read more of that site, it would appear that the RX-7 is quite heavily modified - hopefully a stock RX-8 won't sound *quite* as loud as that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well no.. but it give you and idea of how the engine sounds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  9. Snail2

Snail2 Member

In atuo expres this week they were talking about the RX8.....aparently it has a REALLY high oil consumption......and you NEED to check the oil every 2 tanks of petrol......something to do with the engine......sounds like a lot of maintence to me!!!
  10. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

Oooh - I'll go down to the shops and buy that... (Auto Express, that is...)