Max depth from wall front & back 2011 A3 sportsback

Raincheck

Sucking diesel..!
Reaction score
Hi ladies & gents,

Does anybody know using the MDF door adapters for speakers with a depth from wall 66mm (2.6") will fit the 2011 A3 sportsback 5 doors front and back.

Thanks,
Rain....

The door cards are about 60mm so that's not going to fit Rick, as it will push up against the door card & allow more vibration & sit proud imho.

That's a pity was able to get 4 Focals 1/2 price,

Thanks Nigel!

Explain why you cant use the focals with different adapter depths?

Hi Nigel,

Okay I got the MDF adapters from AndyMac (for all doors) and can buy the Focal PS165 for a good price.
See link for details: http://www.bublin.eu/car/FOCAL PS 165 TECH SPEC.pdf

I am keen of getting these but afraid they don't fit.
I think there are Focals who have a shallow mounting depth or can you recommend an other brand with similar quality that will fit.

Thanks...

Rick ...

If they came from Andy, they should fit, but those focals have a 9mm front which maybe why its pushed out a bit, maybe you could lessen the bracket depth or ask andy if he can make up a set that isn't as deep.

Other issue is water drips down right above the speakers mate, its the terrible water run design audi came up with, so it would be good to make sure they have a rear shield of some form to divert the water or at least test with a hose 1st to see if it would cause any issues to the speaker makeup as such.

That's a good one didn't think of water :( would be a disaster spending over £400

Thanks again Nigel

Rick, you're not restricted to the depth of the adapter, the adapters sit over a huge hole in the inner skin of the door, where you have at least another 1-2 inches of available space
8Pfrontdoorbare-1.jpg

8PSpeakeradapter-1.jpg

Can't think of a speaker that wouldn't fit, but as Nige said if the magnet does end up protruding into the door then water may become an issue unless you fabricate a hood for it.

Thanks guys,

I am going for it and order the Focals will keep you posted if interested.
The ordered sound deadening for all the doors & a set of door panel removal tools arrived this morning.

Again thanks for the support,

- Rick

Ps. think i am gonna re-wire and leave the original wiring as it is because planning to buy the focal amps as well.
But first remove the standard sub enclosure do a 3D scan and route-out a layered MDF one!

Okay,

Ordered 2 pairs:

Focal ISN 165 - Integrated crossover (woofer + tweeter)
Shallow mounting depth

Woofer: 61/2" (165mm)
Voice-coil diameter: 91/4" (32mm)
Voice-coil height: 02/16" (10,5mm)
Magnet: Neodymium

Aluminum inverted dome TNB tweeter
Integrated crossover: 6db/oct (Woofer) / 12 db/oct (Tweeter)
Max. power: 120W

Nom. power: 60W rms
Sensitivity (2,83 V/1 m): 92.7dB
Frequency response: 60Hz – 28kHz
Accessories: Supplied without grille.
Crossover on connector (woofer and tweeter).

No separate crossovers (doesn't have to cut into the original wiring)

Focal

Now I have to find a suitable Focal sub woofer that will fit the yet to build new sub enclosure.

- Rick ...

Ps. My goal is not to create a loud and booming sound system but just a smooth clear and pleasant sound, I know it isn’t really possible to create the same quality sound as I have @ home (also Focal ) but try to get as close as possible within my budget.

Focal Audi Analogue

Last edited:
Hi again one more question,

I also want to replace the standard sub enclosure, will a 8" sub with a mounting depth of 4.76378" fit?
Will make one myself from MDF but would like to know the cu. ft of a standard sub enclosure.

FOCAL P21 V2 - 8” (21cm) subwoofer

SEALED ENCLOSURE
10 liters (0.35 cu. ft.)
F - 3 = 43Hz / Fast and tight bass

15 liters (0.53 cu. ft.)
F - 3 = 41Hz / Punchy and dynamic bass

20 liters (0.71 cu. ft.)
F - 3 = 40Hz / Deep and articulate bass

Sub

Your help is much appreciated,

Rick ...

You have really limited depth unless you plan to cutaway the inner skin behind the sub. this is even worse on the sportback due to stupid nature of the scooped out boot panel.
Details are here:
dizzythedog.com

You will have problems fitting anything more than 4.25" in depth and you'll struggle to get anywhere near 10 litres. The stock tupperware enclosure is ported and only 9 litres but is perfectly moulded to the intricacies of the space to maximise the volume, which will be difficult to replicate in MDF.
If you don't mind destroying the boot panel then this is the closest you'll get:
Audi A3 8P 2003 Custom Fit MDF 8" Sub Box Subwoofer Enclosure Bass | eBay
And they only manage 8 litres

Thanks Andy,

I am going all the way now and ordered the Custom fit MDF 8" sub box and as you mentioned cutaway the inner skin behind the sub.
Hopefully it doesn't have any
structural implications, ordered also the FOCAL P21 V2 - 8” sub mounting depth of 121 mm and the Custom fit MDF 8" sub box has a limit of 154 mm so that should fit perfectly.

The sound deadening arrived today my god that stuff is heavy, just have to wait until all the Focals are in.
Will post my installation and findings including photos as a payback for the forum support.

Hope to start shortly :)

Rick.

Ps. the Custom fit MDF 8" sub box is finished with black carpet would like to replace it with the original Audi grey carpet can I get this somewhere online?

13432d1364928849-navigation-plus-ebay-%24-kgrhqv-hcfcn-juofobqy0lv1de-~~60_12.jpg

Removing the inner skin with that enclosure won't help as it is designed to fit up against it i.e. it won't sit further back if you remove the inner skin. You will see when you remove the tupperware sub, the whole area is angled inwards from the wheelarch and the rear bodywork. It would give you additional depth if you were making your own, but not with a prebuilt enclosure.
With that box you do need to remove half the boot panel
RWSubenclosurefitted.jpg

Thanks again Andy,

I'll wait until I have the Custom fit MDF enclosure and removed the tupperware sub, then I can see what can be added to the Custom fit MDF enclosure (take out the back of the Custom fit MDF and rebuild it to fit the extra space gained by removing inner skin or not:) I don't mind having it sitting like the picture you posted but like to get some extra liters for the sub if possible.

Grtx Rick ...

Today I got the Custom fit MDF 8" sub box, must say it looks very nice and perfectly finished. Lets hope it fits!
And if it does will have to change the carpet to grey so it matches the carpet in the boot.
Just have to wait for the Focal speakers (hopefully this week)

13432d1364928849-navigation-plus-ebay-%24-kgrhqv-hcfcn-juofobqy0lv1de-~~60_12.jpg

Reactions: NHN