1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Massive loss of power, not going above 3000rpm....

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by tobycruse, Nov 20, 2006.

1. tobycruse

tobycruse Member

This is a bad one....

I have had this fault before and it seemed to fix itself. I was driving the car (2.0 FSI) on the motorway when all power went from the engine and the car begun to slow down. The power then returned a couple of seconds later. but it repeated this fault about 5 more times then it disapeared for good. It has now returned but is much worse.

Its like the car has suddenly dropped to only having about 25hp and cant accelerate past 3000rpm. The fault thought is intermitent. I have taken the car to audi before and they said they couldnt find a fault. I can now not drive the car in fear it will do it again. The fault is returning much more regulary.

The car has been chipped but this fault had occured before the remap.

If the car is taken to Audi and they cant find a fault what should i do?

Has anyone else had this problem, does anyone know what it could be?

No warning lights are coming up on the car.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tinka

tinka Guest

loose connection somewhere,or a loose intake pipe,it does'nt sound good though?.

4. Granny

Granny Member

I had a similar problem with an A2 i used to own. Bearing in mind I'm not overly engine literate... I think it ended up being the controller on one of the pistons. The fault was intermittent and didn't initially show up on the car's diagnostics as the original Audi roadside engineer cleared the fault log (for some reason..).

Might be worth calling Audi Roadside, explaining the problem and getting one of their engineers out. They can then forward details of the Error Log to your local dealer...

I'd probably unload the remap before calling Audi tho...

5. co55ie

co55ie Member

Does the problem rear its head when you have backed off on the throttle and then reapply or been cruising at low rpm's for a while .

It could well be that the dump valve diaphragm is split. My own remapped car is suffering a similar problem to yours at the moment.

I have experienced similar problems on a variety of turbo charged cars I have owned and it has allways been the dump valve thats caused the fault.

May well be worth trying an uprated valve they aernt very expensive before wasting time with dealers.

6. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

I doubt very much he has a dump valve in a 2.0 FSI...

7. co55ie

co55ie Member

Lol me neither .

8. tobycruse

tobycruse Member

I too believe it must be a loose connection or something as the computer is not showing any faults in the car. Will be calling the garage tomorrow to get them to sort it, will keep you posted....

Though it is annoying that they didnt pick this up the first time it happened, are audi getting lazy and only using their computer diagnostic equipement and not actually checking the car?

9. tobycruse

tobycruse Member

Just had a Audi roadside man round. Plugged in the diagnostic machine and found it to be a fuel pump problem, now i have to get the car towed back to brighton to be repaired.

He did ask me if the car had been chipped, i said no, it actually is. I thought by saying yes it would kick up a whole magnitude of problems. What are peoples experiances of dealers and chipped cars?

10. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

Lucky for you the diagnostic machine registered the problem.
    The amount of times my dealer has just shrugged problems off with a "no faults registered" comment is laughable.
    It's so infuriating,to be made to feel you 'imagined' a problem.

Yeah...I imagined it...I just like hanging around your fecking showroom..again..

11. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

Erm you might want to not post things about your car being chipped as dealers do look at these boards...

12. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

:D do we think you whewre thinking about your own car when you posted that ;)

13. co55ie

co55ie Member

I think you may be right :laugh: I thought the chap had a turbo but should have read his car details

Quite a few threads have appeared with 2.0T owners experiencing similar problems especially DSG equipped cars .