massive downgrade

At the end of the day I'm only 29, got a **** load of years to go to own another S3, yeah I've got an epic one right now but I also want a decent house to set up camp in. I can't currently see it been viably possible with the S3, I'm not saying it's going to be a hole lot easier by making the swap I am but on paper, facts, figures and monthly earning it's sure going to help a lot.
Least I'm staying In an audi guys, come on. Don't hate the player, hate the game lol

Reactions: y2kcurran, kanecullen89, Dave-S3 and 2 others
Totally agree Andy.

I had to choose between house and cars several times and always took property.

Whatever it is you do,or drive etc, enjoy it as you never know what tomorrow brings.

No.

That's my IQ for squandering buckets of cash on a hogged out shopping trolley.

Lol.

Very interested in your love of cosworths plus your rednose pic avatar

As I have had lots of cosworths and its a small world sure we must of crossed and have you ever heard of Riskys Staffords Alex?

Reactions: S3Alex
No.

That's my IQ for squandering buckets of cash on a hogged out shopping trolley.

Lol.

Ha ha
At least I can use you now Alex as my 20 year plan to aim for another S3 and a 500bhp at that

Very interested in your love of cosworths plus your rednose pic avatar

As I have had lots of cosworths and its a small world sure we must of crossed and have you ever heard of Riskys Staffords Alex?

The avatar isn't my dog but reflects how I feel some days !

Not heard of Riskys I'm afraid as all of mine were either looked after by,or built by Graham Hathaway.

Now there's a man even older than me who was racing Historic GpC cars well into his 50s.
200mph in a Jaguar XJR11.

I understand the need to drop down to a cheaper car to run, but one extreme to the other doesn't make much sense, when the running costs of a 2.0TDI 170 wouldn't be much different, and the car is still relatively quick. MPG isn't massively different, always see 500miles to a tank with my 170, just like I did with my 140 (I've lost count of the number of disappointed 1.6TDI owners not gettingthe crazy 70mpg claims and getting similar mpg to the 2.0TDI).

Reactions: Fanboy and S3Alex
I understand the need to drop down to a cheaper car to run, but one extreme to the other doesn't make much sense, when the running costs of a 2.0TDI 170 wouldn't be much different, and the car is still relatively quick. MPG isn't massively different, always see 500miles to a tank with my 170, just like I did with my 140 (I've lost count of the number of disappointed 1.6TDI owners not gettingthe crazy 70mpg claims and getting similar mpg to the 2.0TDI).
I was driving around a gorgeous 59 plate 2.0 Tdi 170 18 months ago and getting an average of probably 37 mpg day to day.

I actually only managed 45mpg on a run up the highlands from the wirral, which was 360 miles. I was disappointed as i was cruising at motorway speeds. The car was powerful but hardly knocked your socks off and the handling was dodgy. Hence why i moved to proper petrol hot hatches, because the fuel consumption just didn't add up for the diesel, especially with diesel costing more than petrol. Maybe with the DPF removed and a remap it would of been a different story but that would of been ££ and also now, illegal lol.

Ill admit, i sometimes wince when i get to the petrol station and chuck in £70's worth of fuel to see roughly 300 miles, but the smile the car puts on my face when i plant my foot on the loud pedal makes up for it!

thats shame mate i love your s3 andy - is it getting traded in at york audi might after to go for a look tempt my mate to trade in his astra vxr and buy 1 haha

I have an co car A3 2013 8V tdi good range in the tank 540miles, stop start tech, nav bluetooth nice car. if you can get the s-line as it looks better imo with better bumper and alloys. its weird when i get into 8P at the weekends.

I was driving around a gorgeous 59 plate 2.0 Tdi 170 18 months ago and getting an average of probably 37 mpg day to day.

I actually only managed 45mpg on a run up the highlands from the wirral, which was 360 miles. I was disappointed as i was cruising at motorway speeds. The car was powerful but hardly knocked your socks off and the handling was dodgy. Hence why i moved to proper petrol hot hatches, because the fuel consumption just didn't add up for the diesel, especially with diesel costing more than petrol. Maybe with the DPF removed and a remap it would of been a different story but that would of been ££ and also now, illegal lol.

Ill admit, i sometimes wince when i get to the petrol station and chuck in £70's worth of fuel to see roughly 300 miles, but the smile the car puts on my face when i plant my foot on the loud pedal makes up for it!

This is the reason I got the 1.2 Tfsi over the 1.6 TDI, on paper the figures are exactly the same tax bracket is different fuel cost would be more in the TDI but would get more miles to the tank so for mainly town driving I got the 1.2 and I love it. Thinking a 2 litre diesel next though

Thats quite surprising. Best i've managed is 59mpg doing 70-80 errr km/h from london to leicester. Your day to day average is higher than mine. I have lead foot and get around 30-33.

Another vote for a 2.0 tdi tho. My cousin let me drive her 1.6tdi (12 plate) from london to derby and back again. Its a gutless little so and so, don't even bother. I currently have a PD170, and given the amount of issues i'd advise going with the CR engines, and quattro with stage 1 map/dpf removal. Should keep u happy

I'm not suggesting a TDI170 is an alternative S3, but that the 170 can return good mpg and is a lot faster than a 1.6TDI and running costs won't be much different.

My long term average in my 170 (standard, DPF still fitted) is 47mpg (very little urban driving though), DPF-delete doesn't actually give much improvement in mpg (my previous car was 170 no DPF) although it is much much quicker when required!

Last edited:
thats shame mate i love your s3 andy - is it getting traded in at york audi might after to go for a look tempt my mate to trade in his astra vxr and buy 1 haha

I've traded it in at York yeah, not sure if it will stay there or not. Get him down and buy it then at least I'll still see it about lol

I didn't get a 'proper' car until I was 34, then I still spends thousands modifying that Subaru and that was from new as well. Sold it to a work friend. Now i'm 44 and loving the S3 so much. So good is the DSG S3 when only Stage 1 mapped. Doesn't stop me wanting an RS6 but there is a lotto win required there. lol.

Shame such a stunning car having to be let go. Interestingly enough there is a thread in the 8V section on here about the real world mpg of 2.0tdi vs 1.6tdi.

But as has been mentioned above, house has to come first as it's an appreciating asset, a car is the very opposite. Like you I feel the pain of feeding my S3 don't see over 24mpg but luckily only do 100 or so miles a week so I can live with it for the fun/smile factor. Enjoy the new ride anyway!

Hi Andy
Just seen this. So you have gone and done it.
Thought I might have got a trip out in the green machine before you got rid.
I'm sure your doing the right thing, you can always go back to an S3 at a later date 😃

Hi Andy
Just seen this. So you have gone and done it.
Thought I might have got a trip out in the green machine before you got rid.
I'm sure your doing the right thing, you can always go back to an S3 at a later date 😃

Yeah I've done it. Don't trade it in till Wednesday so got a few more days left in it. Forgot to text you back last night but yeah still up for Doncaster so long as work permits anyway but will find that out soon.
I hope I'm doing the right think, only time will tell though

Andy I'm sure your doing the right thing. When I was your age I had sport cars, but had to get rid of them when a house then kids came along. Now I'm working my way back. Astra SRI and now the A3 S-line. Next will be a S3 then S4.

I'm sure you will have another soon

Yh I'm thinking about getting an older a4 2 litre TDI to free some money up for house and kids but what I would like is a3 saloon

House - yeah
kid's - no
I'm too selfish for a little snotter just yet lol. I best hide this thread from tash now cause if she knows others have done this for kids I'm screwed lol

House - yeah
kid's - no
I'm too selfish for a little snotter just yet lol. I best hide this thread from tash now cause if she knows others have done this for kids I'm screwed lol

I'm with you chap, have no intention of having the back of my seats kicked or the back seat covered in Biro and half chewed sweets ...... Shudders!

Reactions: Andy1608
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Andy what have you done mate, you have ruined my surprise. Well you haven't but it would have been nice if you still owned it.
This will all become clear in about 2 weeks guys

So gutted for you mate that you had to get rid but so happy for you on finding a house.
I don't know wether to laugh or cry can't imagine what your going through lol