1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mapping the DV out

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Kaibo, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaibo

Kaibo Member

[Oct 14, 2011]
    Ignoring turbo damage, is it possible to have the Dump Valve mapped out? Stopping the need for the recirc pressure and running problems.

Cheers Kai
  2. MUSH

MUSH MUSH Developments Ltd.

[Oct 14, 2011]
    Regardless of the question in hand, you WANT the DV... simples.

The recirc pressure aids in turbo spool up, and if you have running problems then this isnt the way forward.
  3. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

4. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

[Oct 14, 2011]
    +1 what mush and bez said.

But why?
  5. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

6. Kaibo

Kaibo Member

[Oct 15, 2011]
    Ok I'll be a bit more specific, ignoring turbo damage, ignoring spool up and ignoring your own opinion good or bad please, is it possible, that's all I'm asking
  7. S3featesV9

S3featesV9 Active Member

[Oct 15, 2011]
    i struggle to think of a reason to do this???? why do you ask? i suppose anything is possible.
  8. Jason.s

Jason.s Active Member

[Oct 15, 2011]
    S body owners(ie S14/S13 and so on) just get rid of it all. Usually then causes the fluttering noise. Apart from gaining that noise i dont know why they do it but it never seems to have much of an nasty effect on the running of the car.
  9. MUSH

[Oct 15, 2011]
    Wouldnt imagine that its something that you could "map" out. The dv is a physical device operated by vacuum, the map cannot possibly tell when you will cause this, like when dipping the clutch, slowing down etc. If you have an me7.5 ecu then you can map out the n249 operation and delete that but actual removal of the valve itself will undoubtedly cause bad compressor stall, hence the cool flutter.
  10. Kaibo

Kaibo Member

[Oct 15, 2011]
    Well I keep hearing that these don't run right if you don't recirc, some people say agu are ok without and some don't, personally I can't figure out how it sees the pressure put back in when it's open at the filter but I'm no expert.
    I'd have chatter over performance given the chance, my taste, my preference but I'm sure itl upset some :)
  11. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

[Oct 15, 2011]
    MTe you dont have to map it, IF you are serious about doing, god knows why, all you have todo is remove the DV, bung up the connection into the TIP, block the off shoot of the charge pipe and then block the vacuum feed to the DV. Job done, few seat boys have done but say good by to your turbo mate.
  12. Kaibo

Kaibo Member

[Oct 15, 2011]
    Yeah sorry, after the removal of the DV I'm talking about the MAF seeing the pressure put back in, wondered whether that could be mapped to ignore the lack of pressure, hope this makes sense

Cheers Kai
  13. Kaibo

Kaibo Member

[Oct 15, 2011]
    Thank you, that's the answer I was after, I'd probably change to a T3, seem a bit more capable to handle stall, who knows, il try for research and you can say I told you so :)
  14. Brendan12

Brendan12 Member

[Oct 15, 2011]
    I've ran my old Renault 5 turbos without dump valves and my turbo never failed. Compressor stall isn't good for your turbo, but it isn't going to fail instantly either. If you remove it on a non AGU engine, expect the engine management light to come on. I tried it on my old Octavia vrS and it used to flutter but ran like ****.
  15. Kaibo

Kaibo Member

[Oct 15, 2011]
    R5's run T2's which are stronger than these k turbos, I can but try.

Cheers Kai
  16. 4rings

4rings Member

[Oct 15, 2011]
    i have a forge split-r valve which is set up so basically it chatters like a good one. had it on there for 6 months now and i do have slight boost fluctuation sometimes and partial throttle at low revs. but apart from that all is ok.
  17. Brendan12

Brendan12 Member

[Oct 15, 2011]
    TBH the flutter wasn't very loud when I tried it on the Octavia, definately not as loud as the 5's used to be.
  18. Kaibo

Kaibo Member

[Oct 15, 2011]
    Did you have an open filter on the skoda? I should imagine you were running higher boost on the 5?
    My mate runs 20psi on a T3 without DV and has for some time, not on an Audi or a ford I should add, it's the noisiest thing I've heard and I love it, makes me smile every time I drive it.
  19. Brendan12

Brendan12 Member

[Oct 15, 2011]
    Yeah I had an open filter on the Octavia and it was mapped, was running more boost than the 5 used too.
  20. MUSH

[Oct 15, 2011]
    If its sound you want then why not fit a forge split-r or an atmospheric dump valve. Expect poor running of course as there be an accounted amount of airflow being lost.

On my mk2 20vt i used a forge 007p diverter and ran it with a jetex cone filter. The noise was tremendous. Although that was dumping, not flutter.
  21. DJ_Troopa

DJ_Troopa K1 Driver

[Oct 15, 2011]

How could you ignore turbo damage??
  22. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Oct 15, 2011]
    What is the ****ing point. Is this chav-sport.net?
  23. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Oct 15, 2011]
    No.. and DONT DO IT
  24. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Oct 15, 2011]
    and that makes it right does it?
    want the flutter sound, @ your risk, just disconnect the vac line off the DV.. simples... But stupid
  25. S3 Sly

S3 Sly Member

[Oct 15, 2011]
    Lots of people run the Impreza engine with no DV, but the TD04/05 is strong enough to stand this. I tried it but all it did was blow the IC pipes off and made no difference to performance. I went back to the OE DV.

You will be putting a lot of strain on the turbo for no real reason.
  26. Brendan12

Brendan12 Member

[Oct 15, 2011]
    Like the others have said, it's not a good idea but completely up too you.
  27. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 15, 2011]
    No one in their right mind is going to recommend removing the DV... its a safety feature and is generally required to protect the turbo..

As a DV is a mechanical device then its not mapped directly... in fact the popular N249 bypass removes ECU control completely anyway... the codes etc related to the DV are typically boost deviation codes and mechanical failure of N249 codes...

Removing the the DV from a K03/4 turbo will eventually result in failure... timescale will be subjective as to how good a condition the turbo was in the first place and the level of tune of your engine... you could run a K03 on std boost for ages or a mapped one for 5mins before it lunches itself...

Recirc is required on any engine using a MAF sensor for airflow... not just restricted to VAGs... the reason being is that the volume of air is already known to the ECU in the closed inlet/charge air system... running probs from atmos style BOV's and DV's (Split-R!!!!) are due to the ECU prepping fuel delivery based on metered air... you chuck most or all of that metered air to the atmos when you change gear then the engine will run rich as the ECU still thinks it has xx volume of air in the system which is no longer there... as non wideband ECU's (AGU/APY) do mostly everything from airflow and can't correct fuel on load... wideband ECU's can only adjust fuelling after the effect as the probe is in the exhaust... WB ECU's run rich then adjust by dropping out fuel only to have to readjust to bring it back again once the airflow is back on track...

I can't think of any tuner that would be happy about running a 20v without a DV of some description especially if you are mapping a Bosch ECU...

There is not much point in discussing this any further tbh so I am closing it...

<tuffty/>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.