Mapped S3 v Merc CLS 500

hutchybee

Faux Musician
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
On 'private' road yesterday I happened to come across a Merc and we had a run from 80 - 140 mph. I was inching away.... I had no idea what it was until I slowed down because of another person on the 'private' road and then it whooshed past and I saw CLS 500. I came home and googled it and am kinda surprised that it couldnt pass me.

Praise be to god for the 1.8t!!:respekt:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/203704/mercedes_cls_500.html

I had a run witha CLS something a while back and it was fun, tussling and jogging for position. Right up to the point my oil pressure fell through the floor and the big end shells span.

I havent a clue what engine was in it, but my 200bhp A4 was a good match for it to 140, up intil the "slight" rattle developed,lol

Good work if it was one of those big boys you raced/played with

Heavy car mate thats why IMHO, I mean my S4 was 4.2 V8 with 365 horses & S3's could take it tbh, some anyway & I put it down to the car weight, it was one heavy mofo

byzan said:
I had a run witha CLS something a while back and it was fun, tussling and jogging for position. Right up to the point my oil pressure fell through the floor and the big end shells span.

I havent a clue what engine was in it, but my 200bhp A4 was a good match for it to 140, up intil the "slight" rattle developed,lol

Good work if it was one of those big boys you raced/played with

Bad luck with the shells mate:ohmy: but it was one of the big boys..... Check the link......

The CLS 500 has recently been fitted with Merc’s latest 5.5-litre V8. Despite being naturally aspirated, it develops a huge 383bhp

Heavy car mate thats why IMHO, I mean my S4 was 4.2 V8 with 365 horses & S3's could take it tbh, some anyway & I put it down to the car weight, it was one heavy mofo

I agree that they are heavy cars but I thought that after a certain speed, weight didnt matter as much! This one has over 100 bhp more than my car......

Merc 1835 kg

S3 1423kg

412 kg........:think:

:uhm: LOL!!! It was a bloke with a beard! Looking at the stats it makes no sense..... Either he cant drive or my Revo map took me up to 360 bhp!!! Im thinking it might be the first one...

so many factors involved but take it as a scalp.

PS if the remap took it to 260 you'd be lucky
PPS Revo rocks!

Feck me you left him standing, lol, I do miss her alot these days, was just fun to drive anywhere, been looking at cheap S3's to work on, lol

I used to drive an S500 and no way would an S3 beat that from 80-140.The S3 would be better on the brakes and handling though.

lad at our work just bought a SL500 which he thought was going to be the mutts.... doesnt keep up with mine, only just though hehe

also had a play today with an RX8 on several different stretches, the first he caught me off boost, i kept up with him and had to hang back later up the mph range otherwise id have slowly took him....next junction i hit boost off the roundabout in 2nd and had to lay off his back bumper cos was seriously heading straight into his back window....his fumes stank from flooring it, i was well chuffed

also had a play today with an RX8 on several different stretches, the first he caught me off boost, i kept up with him and had to hang back later up the mph range otherwise id have slowly took him....next junction i hit boost off the roundabout in 2nd and had to lay off his back bumper cos was seriously heading straight into his back window....his fumes stank from flooring it, i was well chuffed

I cant comment on SL500s but whether Ive been in my old Alfa GTV 3.0V6 or slightly fettled 306 GTi6, one of the manyRX8s Ive played with have seemed slow and couldn't get close to me.

ive had a tangle with an rx8 before but i didnt think they were trying, this fella was being a n*b so was asking for it.... they arent supposed to be that slow though, think the 0-60 is sub 7secs..... regardless im not suprised but happy as i know he was thrashing it

I'm not supprised that you beat an RX-8. Don't think they're that fast.

Those Merc 500''s aren't that quick either. Effortless but not super fast. Heavy! The AMG's are the ones to avoid!

I'm not supprised that you beat an RX-8. Don't think they're that fast.

Those Merc 500''s aren't that quick either. Effortless but not super fast. Heavy! The AMG's are the ones to avoid!

the 231 bhp rx8 are quick mate and a top end of over 150 think 0-60 is low 6's i raced an st focus 2.5 turbo in my mates rx8 and i beat it

remember it did the top gear track in 1 min 32 i think, thats quicker than an m3 bmw they rev up to 9k and bit of rear tail fun driving

I have seen an s3 torture a C280 Kompressor it flew past him with easy at about 60-90 am guessing they were on the same ''private'' road as all of you guys it funny yous didnt see each other lol!

Might have been a rebadged 350... the article says they're barely distinguishable.

the 231 bhp rx8 are quick mate and a top end of over 150 think 0-60 is low 6's i raced an st focus 2.5 turbo in my mates rx8 and i beat it

remember it did the top gear track in 1 min 32 i think, thats quicker than an m3 bmw they rev up to 9k and bit of rear tail fun driving

I think their 9k rev limit is the problem with them (when it comes to having a dabble on a private road). Ive never driven one, so this is could be total ********, but as quick as they may be, if you catch the driver unaware and your S3 is close to coming on boost or on boost then its not even a contest is it?!

I think their 9k rev limit is the problem with them (when it comes to having a dabble on a private road). Ive never driven one, so this is could be total ********, but as quick as they may be, if you catch the driver unaware and your S3 is close to coming on boost or on boost then its not even a contest is it?!

As far as instant power, yes it'd be like being caught offboost, but their main problem is that the rotary engine doesn't develop any torque. All whine and no grunt.

vetch it was the other way around, he caught me off boost the first time then planted it again off the next roundabout from a low gear.... as said i kept up with him when he caught me off guard and would have past if i hadnt ran out of road.... the 2nd time was a slaughter, yeah it was quick but i would have took him before 70mph had it not have been a single carriageway.... and trust me he had the foot to the floor, you should have smelt it burn that fuel

i woulda thought cls500's would pull alot more then an s3. good scalp though.

it probably would at the top end...more than likely id guess but not likely to reach (or have the need to reach) those speeds

a mate of mine had an evo 8 260 or 280 whichever and he said mid range the cl500 would pass him no problem

well from a low starting speed we are impeeded because of the charge cool temp increasing the faster we get.... so cant see how this could have been? just searched for 1/4 miles on SL500 and its 14.8...which confirms

a mate of mine had an evo 8 260 or 280 whichever and he said mid range the cl500 would pass him no problem

My old S500 had 340lb/ft just below 3000rpm so i would agree with your mate.Throw in some bends though and the Merc was terrible.