Manually Changing Gears in Slow Speed

zhehao

Reaction score
Hi guys! Just got a white Audi A3 Sedan (Stronic) recently and it looks stunning beautiful! (except it's a pain to see after a down pour)

I have just a few issues with it.. one being the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT tyres they provide are a tad too noisy. The other being i am unable to change gears from "gear 1 to gear 2" or "gear 2 to gear 3" when travelling at slower speeds. I am able to do that if the engine is revving higher but not when the engine rev is between 1000 to 2000.

Reason i wanted to change gear earlier is so that there will be less engine brake in gear 2 when i am in a carpark. Anyone experience the same problem i am having here?

Thanks guys and have a good day!

I would imagine that it wont change gear that low down the rev range as the rev drops will make the engine labour which is generally frowned upon by auto gearboxes.

It'll be programmed with a minimum rev value before changing up and you'll be trying to do it below that threshold.

Paul

Hi guys! Just got a white Audi A3 Sedan (Stronic) recently and it looks stunning beautiful! (except it's a pain to see after a down pour)

I have just a few issues with it.. one being the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT tyres they provide are a tad too noisy. The other being i am unable to change gears from "gear 1 to gear 2" or "gear 2 to gear 3" when travelling at slower speeds. I am able to do that if the engine is revving higher but not when the engine rev is between 1000 to 2000.

Reason i wanted to change gear earlier is so that there will be less engine brake in gear 2 when i am in a carpark. Anyone experience the same problem i am having here?

Have they stopped shipping with Conti's?

Have they stopped shipping with Conti's?
When i visited the showroom at my country (Singapore), they were fitted with ContiPremiumContact 5.
Would have very much preferred CPC5 over Dunlop Sport Maxx RT!

Either way i am going to try out Bridgestone GR100. They are quite popular here in singapore. Either that or going go for pirelli cinturato p7. Hopefully less tyre noise!

I would imagine that it wont change gear that low down the rev range as the rev drops will make the engine labour which is generally frowned upon by auto gearboxes.

It'll be programmed with a minimum rev value before changing up and you'll be trying to do it below that threshold.

Paul
I would think so too.. Wished they gave full control though!
Is it the same on your S3 Stronic?

Minimum rev values set to stop the engine labouring/putting strain on the transmission, as has been said before. I assume you are just changing down using the paddles, trying dropping it into manual mode by moving the S-Tronic gear lever across to the left so you are totally in manual mode and trying that, the threshholds may be different.

The other being i am unable to change gears from "gear 1 to gear 2" or "gear 2 to gear 3" when travelling at slower speeds. I am able to do that if the engine is revving higher but not when the engine rev is between 1000 to 2000.

As posted above, in manual flappy paddle mode it won't let you change up that early in the rev range.

However, in Auto/D mode it will allow itself to change up when <2000 rpm. I can only think this is because it can change down again itself if it needs to.

It's a case of "computer says no [to you]" but says "yes" to itself

John.

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT tyres they provide are a tad too noisy???

They are meant to be one of the quietest tyres on the market, everything else is meant to be noisier including all of the continentals

Last edited:
Minimum rev values set to stop the engine labouring/putting strain on the transmission, as has been said before. I assume you are just changing down using the paddles, trying dropping it into manual mode by moving the S-Tronic gear lever across to the left so you are totally in manual mode and trying that, the threshholds may be different.

Hey there. I want to change up to reduce engine brake. Tried both paddle shifters and gear level shifting. Both unable to shift.

But I guess like what everyone is saying. Its a limitation set by the computer. Would be great if we had full control, but not a deal breaker.

They are meant to be one of the quietest tyres on the market, everything else is meant to be noisier including all of the continentals
Yes they are really quite noisy. I think it might be the case of cabin not really well insulated from road noise then... Wind noise is alright though I haven't ran it above 110kmph...

On rough surfaces I found the Dunlops on 16" wheels just as noisy as the Pirelli Cinturato's on 17"s that my car came fitted with from the factory.

I now have Nokian winter tyres fitted which are much quieter.

Maybe his tyres are over inflated hence the extra noise?
The Dunlop Sport Maxx RT are made from a softer rubber than other tyres which makes it quieter, but softer means shorter lift span.
Hard tyres like the Continentals are noiser but last longer.

The Dunlop Sport Maxx RT are made from a softer rubber than other tyres which makes it quieter, but softer means shorter lift span.

I have found in the past that conti's have a terrible lifespan, they seem to wear quite quickly :( Shame as they are really good for grip and ****** expensive, I've got the dunlop sport maxx on my current car and they seem to be wearing a lot better than the conti's I had before, they seem to be just as grippy as the conti's and are in the same price bracket, i think they are quieter than the conti's too. For this reason I am planning on switching to the Dunlops when the conti's are due changing (when I have my S3) Obviously these comments are based on my experience in my current car and not an A/S3 so can't really comment on the sound insulation on the A/S3. Sorry to go off topic lol

Hey there. I want to change up to reduce engine brake. Tried both paddle shifters and gear level shifting. Both unable to shift.

But I guess like what everyone is saying. Its a limitation set by the computer. Would be great if we had full control, but not a deal breaker.

You could get that level of control - buy a manual.

Originally the tyres came with a tyre pressure of 33psi. I dropped it to the comfort level stated beside the driver side door to 32psi in the front, 29psi at the back. I think it did help in noise level. The ride was also not as crashy.