Major Problem or Minor One???? Advice needed

Sarah's A3

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid
Reaction score
Ok, Where to start :think:

The issue I have is intermittent. Started when the cold weather came but not sure if its related.

Driving around 40 - 50mph and not pushing, just cruising along, when I take my foot off the accelerator, the front of the car starts to shake and judder sideways ranging from slightly to fairly violently. Also can do it when I set off around 1600 rpm but only usually when I drive slowish and doing just over 35mph, if I boot it, it seems ok. Like I said, this at the moment is intermittent. When its vibrating I can feel it through the steering wheel, seat, pedals and most things in there shake too, inc the kids!! One time it did it I honestly thought it was going to break down as it got soooo bad the car also seemed to have a clunk underneather around the middleish on the drivers side but I was doing around 20mph with my window open at the time and could hear it. After getting on the floor (in the snow!) I couldnt see anything untoward under there. I started it up again and it still did it but not quite as severe, then the next day was ok again. Had minor issues again today but then seemed ok later on.

The cars got DSG, but all gears seem fine, no clunking or difficulty engaging any gears. Checked all tyres and they seem fine (1 was low but ok now). Cars been serviced, no oil changes due etc.

I'm baffled to say the least. So the question is, has anyone had anything similar and if so what is it??

Could it be inner CV? Flywheel??? any transmission related?? As its intermittent could it be electrical?

Any help really appreciated as im not sure if it will stay like this or just give up one day soon!!!

Thanks in advance x

Last edited:
eek that doesnt sound good!!
could it be one of the engine mounts?

Doesn't sound good at all, and difficult to diagnose from the description. Let a mechanic mate have a look, and take him out in it. It sounds very unhealthy though...could be anything really, going by the description. You say it "judders sideways"....do you mean it shuffles across the road? What engine speeds is all this happening at?

Also, you say you started it up and it was doing it - are you saying it judders at idle now too? Is it only around corners? Did it suddenly start happening one day, or has it been progressive?

Whe it judders I dont mean side ways on the road, just the car shaking/juddering sideways. It doesnt do it when at Idle at all. It was progressive and seems worse in colder weather. When it does it, it does it on straights and bends. But does seem worse when you lift off the gas but can do it when accelerating gradually rather than booting it.

Its booked in next week at a mates garage but was after ideas really as I've already taken him out in the car, hes both driven and been passenger and now a bit baffled. We thought it may be the Haldex as the rear passenger tyre had low pressure and we know this can knock the rolling radius out. But once this has been inflated, was ok going home but doing it again now.

Checked on VCDS but no errors at all.

Really baffled as the engine seems fine, no hunting, no hesitation etc so wondering if its more transmission or if a modules playing up somewhere! :think:

Why is it every car I have had really baffliing problems lol!

Last edited:
This "sideways" juddering...do you mean the car shakes from side to side? Or is just a case of it sending vibrations through the chassis, rather than rocking the car? It's hard to think how temperature would affect it really, other than the fact that the engine will make more torque/power in the cold, which could exacerbate a problem.

gearbox/engine mountain maybe i think ive got one gone or on the way out as it gets worse in cold weather done have the same probs as you tho just a loud clicking from the gearbox/engine when im on and off the gas dont know if that helps at all sarah let us know how you get on

No, it seems to shake sideways, maybe not literally but certainly feels like that. Now you can see why its so baffling. Its also the fact its intermittent, sometimes when its cold but also in the afternoons when its been warmer. When it was at its worse thats when I heard a clunk type noise but not sure if that was something underneath like the exhaust vibrating with all the juddering going on.

Mounts look ok but will have a better look tomorrow.

You think it could be? do they give these synptoms when worn?? It does kind of ring true esp when I lift off the gas. Thank you, will get my 'mountains' (mountings!) looked at. :eyebrows:

Last edited:
Haha! Sorry, was just taking the mick, I think our friend fnmrst might've been using predictive text to type that one! It could well be the mounts if it's happening when you lift off the throttle. You can check the state of the mounts by pulling the handbrake on hard, starting the engine, engaging first gear, then getting a friend to observe the engine while you bring the clutch up to biting point. If it sways around excessively in the bay, you probably have a mount/mountain or two in poor health.

only problem its a DSG so Sarah cant really bring the clutch up... and it being a V6 must be a nightmare seeing anything in that engine bay!!

Yeah was going to mention that. The bay is full for sure. What I did notice in the summer when I revved the engine it did move about a fair bit up and down. I know engines move but it did seem quite a bit. If anyone with a V6 could just let me know if theres does the same when revving at stand still, i'd appreciate it. Just in case the engine mounts are part of the problem. Think its time to nip him to my mates rather than waiting til next week. Let the investigations continue!

Definitely needs investigating before you do more damage around the engine bay. Be sure to let us know what your findings are - fingers crossed it's nothing too bad.

Had a failed gearbox mount on a manual Clio diesel - when you let off the throttle it would judder and jump out of gear.....if you held it in it did make it judder like hell. Can't be good for a DSG though...

Haha! Sorry, was just taking the mick, I think our friend fnmrst might've been using predictive text to type that one! It could well be the mounts if it's happening when you lift off the throttle. You can check the state of the mounts by pulling the handbrake on hard, starting the engine, engaging first gear, then getting a friend to observe the engine while you bring the clutch up to biting point. If it sways around excessively in the bay, you probably have a mount/mountain or two in poor health.
lol dam predictive text haha mountings i was supposed to say oops

lol i turned predictive off now its happened loads haha , yeah all good apart from the clicking i was on about , ive got my fingers crossed for u that its nothing serious with your car just before xmas and all

Hi Fran, no not yet, it goes in tomorrow, they are snowed under at the mo and ive not really needed to use it much so its been ok waiting. Funnily enough it drove sweet as a nut yesterday and this morning, then the issues were back lunch time! Really odd. Will get them to look at the mountings first, so fingers crossed eh! Hope its nothing major just before xmas!

Hi S get them to check the prop shaft UJ's. while they are at it.

Ok, got the car fully checked. Gear Box is sweet as a nut, all mounts good, prop shaft etc all good. Turns out I have 2 alloys with flat spots!!!! Ive certainly not kerbed them so must be potholes, although I always try to avoid them. Ones pretty bad but no damage what so ever on the faces, all on the backs. So now looking for new alloys. Pretty relieved tbh, it could have been alot worse! While they were checking it out, he did a few tests on the gear box, it passed with flying colours so im pleased about that. Will change the alloys and see if thats it all sorted. Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated.

im releved for you sarah nothing major is all ways a good thing its a pity about your alloys but as you said it could have been alot worse

have you SEEN some of the holes in our roads?

I'm sure some of them are big enough to bend the rims on my landrover, never mind an A3!

What a bummer! I'm glad it's nothing substantial though. My gf's SportKa failed its MOT a few months back, one reason being the two large dents in two wheels, on the inside. A few large blows with a big heavy hyde mallet saw them fall back into shape. They're more susceptible to buckling on the inside edge without the spokes there to keep them supported.

yup they are OEM so not happy. Always thought they were pretty tough, making me think it may be better going rep seeing how bad the roads are these days.

So now to look for alloys! Shame as these hadn't been refurbed in anthracite long, hey ho!

same thing happened to my sons clio - nearside rear alloy was bent on the inside, he inherited the problem having recently bought the car - a new alloy solved the prob
Hope new alloys solves yours Sarah

Or use the method I "detailled" above (i.e. hit the dents back into shape with a big soft mallet). It is only metal, after all, and fairly soft metal at that. You can try that for free, nothing to lose, or spend a few hundred quid.

S
what ever you do don't try and knock them back into shape as suggested above. alloy will bend one way but will not be happy bending back. Next time you hit a pot hole you could well break the bead and get a blow out. You life is worth more than a wheel or a set of cheap reps come to that.

take care and happy Xmas to you and your family :)

my mates s4 had the same problem with his alloys not good and something you wouldnt expect as his where genuine audi wheels to must be a rareity but stil you wouldnt expect it fair enuff if they where cheap copys that where ran flat glad you found the problem tho. :)

So now to look for alloys! Shame as these hadn't been refurbed in anthracite long, hey ho!

sorry to hear that Sarah as your wheels looked the nuts! least it should be too much of an expensive thing to solve
you gonna stick to OEM or get some sexy aftermarket ones?

I was going to say wheels/tyres, tyres, I have had tyres do this and when warm they stop the vibration, don't ask me why. though it was never so bad to make me think hmm need to get that looked at just more the case is the wheel balancing out.