Major issues following EGR Failure

amimmortal

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice and assistance.

The EGR valve on my 2004 A6 Avant Final Edition Multitronic (1.9tdi) failed last month, sending the spindle, screws and valve flap into the engine. The flap got lodged in the manifold, but the screws and spindle got into the engine.

So, I had the car towed to Autotechnik in Rosyth, about a mile from my home. I'd never used them before but they seemed a good choice on paper and came recommended by the Jack Walker Partnership in Edinburgh.

They needed to check for damage to the cylinder (having noticed scoring on the valve where the screws entered the engine) so to this end they decided they needed to remove the cylinder head. Fortunately there was no damage (there was no sign of any metal fragments and no damage to the piston or cylinder that they could see), unfortunatley I was a few hundred quid lighter, but I accepted it at the time. The timing belt was due for replacement so that got done at the same time (which I gather should be done anyway with a cylinder head gasket replacement), along with the new EGR valve.

I picked up the car after two weeks and paid the £1300 bill, hoping that was that.

Three days later the coolant warning alarm sounded and thankfully i was close to home, so made it back in one piece. A look under the bonnet confirmed that the coolant reservoir was empty.

Autotechnik picked up the car the following day, had a look and advised that there was an air lock in the coolant, which had been caused by their haste in getting the car back to me. It was topped up and I was on my merry way again.

Then, last Saturday evening (a week since the airlock incident) the coolant warning comes on again. I have a look under the bonnet - same problem, only this time I checked the oil and noticed steam coming out and a sludgy mess on the cap.

So I call again this morning, but the proprietor Mike O'Neill was really confrontational, suggesting that this couldn't be anything to do with his repair. He was reluctant to pick up the car or have anything more to do with it, but he relented and agreed.

On the phone he said it was probably the oil cooler - completely coincidental and nothing to do with the head gasket etc. I'm quite suspicious of this and await his findings.

I need to know whether or not he could have damaged the oil cooler, if indeed this component would have needed to be removed as part of the cylinder head rebuild and/ or timing belt installation. Either way, I've read that it is easy to damage if not done properly, although I'd have a tough time proving it.

What recourse would I have if I feel they've been taking the ****?

Of course, the whole thing is complicated by the fact that the front passenger door was dented while they had it - something it took a fair amount of arguing for them to finally admit liability (the damage report on the green flag form proving key). He's agreed to sort that next week, but I've reason to believe he'll try to get out of that if I kick up any kind of stink.

Any help would be much appreciated.

And the morale of the story is, don't use Autotechnik in Rosyth!!!

Thanks,

A.