Major Concert Problem

adtranz

Reaction score
Hi,
Well I have a Concert stereo (the one with the tape) and I needed to get it out as faulty. So I purchased some removal keys from the net which by the way were supposed to be able to remove a Concert system with the 2 thin slots at the bottom. They had a curve on the end if I recall and made by Auto leads.

Anyway I pushed them in so the ring pieces are facing you and now they wont come out at all and the stereo is still in the same posistion as before. I have tried for hours and now I really am at a loss of how to get round this. I probably have put them in wrong and think the curves were facing outwards when inserted if this helps?

What the hell do I do now with 2 mini cup holders looking at me!

Anybody out there can help me I will be ever so grateful. Thanks for looking and I guess laughing! Pegs

Hi, Pegs, just read your post, & noticed you're new to our little band of merry pranksters. Welcome, hope you like what you see and decide to stay.

I'm sorry to hear about the problem with the head unit. I don't know the answer myself, but you can be certain there are people here who will, so stick around & you should hopefully have your answer before very long.

All the best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks Jeff, I hope they have the answer! All the best to you as well.

well, you've got them in the right way anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the only way i found to get them out was to remove the stereo, and then release the clip fro mthe other side... can you pull the stereo out at all?

No I can't even get the stereo to budge so it seems as if putting them in has only seemed to have caused them to get stuck with the curved hooks locking around something I guess.

I have tried with pliers etc and pulled the rings to try and give it more force but no joy. What a nightmare!

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply madvw.

Regards Pegs.

Was gonna say whatever you do don't force them as this will bend the spring clips which will then make removing the unit very difficult, but I guess it's a bit late for that.
Have you tried pushing the keys in further before pulling them out?
If you can get the keys out it is possible to prise off the entire front fascia of the HU without damaging it. I had to do this after I managed to knacker the spring clips on my Concert HU.
First mask off the centre console trim at the bottom of the HU, so you don't mark it.
Then use a thin flat scraper or similar wedge it in the gap between the bottom of the HU and the fascia and gently push down on it to prise the front of the HU up. The whole of the front of the HU is only clipped to the HU chassis so is relatively easy to prise up the bottom then wiggle it free of the top. Once removed you can then see the clips holding it in and should be able to set it free. Don't try removing the metal cage on the front as it won't come off.
The front then just clips back on.
Like all Autoleads products the keys they sell are not quite right for the job and don't work properly so don't feel too bad about it.

Thank you AndyMac... I think that is my only option mate! I had thought of removing the facia surrounding the radio and climate control/heater controls but it seems as you may have saved me breaking something else!

Defo can't get the keys out so will the front of the HU still come out then?

P.S was yours the Concert with the tape?

No you'll need to get the keys out first, but you don't need to worry then about mangling the spring clips in the process.
Yes mine was the Concert 1 (radio/tape) the Concert II is the one with CD player.

[ QUOTE ]
I had thought of removing the facia surrounding the radio and climate control/heater controls but it seems as you may have saved me breaking something else!

[/ QUOTE ]

Removing that is easy...

If it's a B5 like mine, just open the ashtray and then unclip the facia from the bottom working upwards.. it's a doddle!

I removed mine and some other bits when hard wiring in an iPaq holder.

Kev.

I had to do this a few weeks ago, those keys are useless, so is the design - audi need to go and talk to renault (their version works).

I ended up using a table knife (a thick strong one) and starting in the bottom left a forced the facia off the headunit working along the bottom then along the top, was a right pain in the **** on my S3 but worked in the end (I did scratch the concert headunit where you can see it when fitted though).

good luck it's a proper ball ache.

Yeah it will be! Question is which is the best way to get the ****** thing out with I repeat the keys still in the radio! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gifAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Kev, I am trying to see which direction to go to get the thing out!
Maybe a) take the facia off the HU or b) from around the radio and climate controls/heater ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

The keys will come out, push them (may blown the fuse on the back of the stereo then pull them, you are going to be needing a lot of force to sort this!

You need as wide a bit of metal that won't bend that you can fit between the stereo and rest of the car then job done!

Kevint, As far as I remember the centre console/dash fascia is bolted to the car behind the fascia of the radio so don't understand how you managed to remove it without removing the radio?

Here you go, sorry for the poor quality of the pics;

Face%20plate.JPG

Face%20plate%20off.JPG

Kev.

Oh right. On my 97 A4 the trim is bolted behind the blanking adapters either side of the HU, so with the OEM HU you have to remove it to get to them. I guess they changed the design as they were getting so many people with the HU stuck in.

Hi guys, well mine is different to that Kev, I have a 99 A4 and the heating controls are different at the bottom as well as the functions at the top. the surround does come away both at the bottom and the top but is tight around the middle if this helps anybody out!

Pegs

So does anybody have the same facia surround as me and this problem that the keys are stuck in?
(1999 A4) different to Kevint picture BTW.

if it is the bolted in type like AndyMac described I could be well and truly fcuked. I just need an answer!

P.S I am going crackers not having any music people so spare a thought!

That's the one Andy mate spot on!

I have the keys still in and have tried removing the facia surrounding the top controls rear heater/hazards and the climate controls at the bottom. It comes away at the bottom and the top but dead tight at both the middle points by the HU. (is this bolted ???)

I have purchased another Concert now (awaiting to be fitted!) and can see those ****** spring clips you mentioned.

I know you have mentioned about removing the HU cover in an earlier post but I don't want to damage anything so tried removing the facia surround like your picture but no joy as yet.

Thank you ever so much for the picture and taking the time to reply. Pegs

Yes there's 2 bolts (one either side) behind the blanking plates in my photo, but unfortunately behind the oversized fascia on the Concert.
If you've tried all the suggestions the you've got no choice really but to force the keys out. It's only the puny clips jamming them in. If there's absolutely no play in the keys then put something through the finger hole in the keys to give you better grip, like a thick screwdriver and give it a good yank. Hold on to the radio with your other hand so you don't stress the dash. With the keys out you'll be able to prise up the front of the HU. The only damage possible is scratching the fascia at the bottom of the HU so mask it off with a few layers of gaffa tape.

I have just bought a set of removal keys (boy are they difficult to get hold of in Holland!) because I am going to connect a Solisto mp3 player to my Concert II. I am not sure if the ones I got are original Audi though. They are made by a German company called AIV (www.aiv.de). This is a picture of them:
PB_530252.jpg

However, after this story I am afraid to stick the keys in the radio. Could somebody confirm what way round they are supposed go in?

Hi synthdood, well all I can say is they look better quality than the ones I got currently still stuck in my HU!

I have seen that type on a few messages so have a look around before you mess up like me. If you know somebody who can help you get it out ask them as you only have to look at my problem to see sometimes trying to cut corners usually ends in making more work!

I only have one solution to get my HU out and that is to take the front off the HU although ?? I need to just get AndyMac to maybe post another picture to help me out!

Hope all is well in Holland. Best Regards Pegs.

Pegler, it sounds like you've got a bit of a headache there.

If it was me i'd be looking at removing the glovebox, and trying to push the stereo from behind.

If that didnt work, i'd visit a breakers, and buy most of the surrounding plastics and stuff, then get seriously medieval on that bastage. If he facia is giving you gip, get nasty and tear that beyatch off - those facias can't be more that £5 from a breakers can they? The b5 parts are not that expensive even from dealers now.

Thanks madvw for the advice, I take it once the glove box if out you can get at the HU and force it out with the keys still in? I would be worried about the wires at the back though being such a novice at these things mate!

Reading AndyMac's post about the front of the HU coming off I think he means the front plastic surround of the HU? (although I havn't tried this as yet)

If the glovebox comes off easy enough then may go down that road.

Still I don't have a bad singing voice and I do have the Arctic Monkeys on my phone via MP3 which keeps me sane for the moment!

Thanks again madvw.

The glovebox removal will only allow you to get to one side and IIRC you can't even get to the clips easily even with it out. It does allow you to push the HU forward, but not if the clips are knackered as they seem to be in Peglers case.
the pic below shows the HU removal keys (less curved than the ones shown above) and the HU with the front removed.
Audikeys.jpg

AudiKeysmontage.jpg

ConcertPanelRemoved.jpg

Hi Andy, really wish now that I had found this website and got this information from you before I attempted to remove the HU! thanks for the pictures and I definitely must have put the keys in the wrong way as think they went in with the hooks going the other way to your excellent diagrams. I can only now think they are caught behind the spring clips being the wrong way because they come out right to the full length of the key and then hit a restriction.

So glove box a no go I think from what you say and it looks like I shall give your idea a blast over the weekend when I have a little more time. It’s a shame that facia surround is bolted either side of the HU or it would be easy to get it out, I don’t fancy breaking that off if it can be helped.

Andy,
Your picture shows 2 diagrams of the HU could you just clarify them so I know what to do in respect of step 1 onwards as one looks like the back and one the rear! Sorry for being so thick! Best Regards Pegs....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

The bottom one is the chassis of the HU (the bit that's currently stuck), the top one is the back of the front panel when removed so you can just about see where the plastic sticky-out bits are that hold it to the chassis.

[ QUOTE ]
The angled side of the keys point towards the middle of the HU

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. That's what I expected.
So to recapulate: I just stick 'm in and pull the radio out? No moving sideways or anything?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The angled side of the keys point towards the middle of the HU

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. That's what I expected.
So to recapulate: I just stick 'm in and pull the radio out? No moving sideways or anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you move sideways, you'll fall out of the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Stick the in and feel a slight resistance as the angled side picks up the spring clip.
When it feels like it's all the way in then pull the HU forward using a little finger inside the tape deck.
You're supposed to be able to pull on the keys when they've clicked into place, but I found they didn't click and pulling on them was part of the cause of knackering the clips.
Whatever you do don't force anything!
No matter how insensed you become at the stupidity of the design DO NOT apply undue force, and do not start hitting it with a hammer.
Just stay perfectly calm and keep doing it until the HU slides effortlessly out. Then, and only then, can you start hitting it with a hammer.
What really helps is if you can get hold of the same HU which is already out of the car and practice on it beforehand, then you can see what's going on and get a feel for how the keys release the clips.

Going back to my problem Andy, I have to defo force those keys out before I remove the HU face it wont come off with them in?

Will leave you alone soon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif

It's hard enough to get the face off with it still in the dash let alone with the keys sticking through it as you'll have to really force it up in order to bend the keys up with it which will put more stress on the dash surround and the HU.

[ QUOTE ]
When it feels like it's all the way in then pull the HU forward using a little finger inside the tape deck.
You're supposed to be able to pull on the keys when they've clicked into place, but I found they didn't click and pulling on them was part of the cause of knackering the clips.
Whatever you do don't force anything!

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm, the Concert II does not have a tape deck. It is just radio+CD so unless I can get my little finger to fit in the CD slot (maybe that's where the hammer comes into the story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif) I will have to pull on the keys.

Anyway, UPS just delivered my Solisto usb/mp3 interface 10 minutes ago so I am ready to install it this weekend. I'll let you know how it works out and maybe even post a few pictures.

With the right keys and a little patience it is a 2 minute job. However if you get the wrong keys or try to force it that's when you run into these ridiculous problems. Only on an Audi could getting the HU out turn into such a nightmare.

With the Concert II I'd recommend removing the glovebox so you can push from behind (ooh er missus!)

Reactions: Richard Chaise
Okay, just jumped in and did it. Thank god the radio came out without a problem. I played around a bit with the removal keys after the radio was out to see how the mechanism works and I can understand how easy it is to f*ck things up. It seems to me that I it was just pure luck that my radio came out without a problem.

Connecting the Solisto was (almost) plug and play and it works like a charm! Strange enough there was no place to connect the earth wire, so I put it under one of the screws of the aerial connector.

Next job is to get the glovebox out, so first a trip to my local diy store to get the proper torx screwdrivers.

the best place for the earth on these is to use the spade connector on the back of the HU.