MagRide & VCDS

Have you performed any calibrations so far? Any feedback from the owners on the improvement if any?

Would have loved to see if this worked, as i would have liked to make my s3 comfort mode a tad more softer :D

Would have loved to see if this worked, as i would have liked to make my s3 comfort mode a tad more softer :D
The comfort mode is probably already at the limit where damping is concerned. It's a little bouncy at the front at low speeds, and the drop off of a speed bump has a little to much oscillation to it for my liking, a sure sign of underdamping. To go any softer without losing all control would probably need new springs and a slightly higher ride height.

I've tried a car with the damping turned all the way down to its zero setting, and it was ****** horrible;
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/mag-ride-failure-symptoms-boing-boing-boing.293751/

Reactions: Martinbanshee and DJAlix
The comfort mode is probably already at the limit where damping is concerned. It's a little bouncy at the front at low speeds, and the drop off of a speed bump has a little to much oscillation to it for my liking, a sure sign of underdamping. To go any softer without losing all control would probably need new springs and a slightly higher ride height.

I've tried a car with the damping turned all the way down to its zero setting, and it was ****** horrible;
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/mag-ride-failure-symptoms-boing-boing-boing.293751/

Yeah, comfort mode is definitely underdamped. The springs are soft enough for comfort mode.

Yeah, comfort mode is definitely underdamped. The springs are soft enough for comfort mode.

Really? Maybe cause mine has the 19" the road noise and road surface comes through massively even on comfort! its pretty rough some times.

I've got the S3 Saloon with 19s & MagRide and there's definitely plenty of road noises in all modes but comfort mode has a noticeable bounce and too much rebound off recessed drains, etc. It's fine cruising through town but once speed picks up a bit it's much more composed in the other modes.

Oops! I meant to say the springs are *not* soft enough for comfort mode in my previous post

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Must be the 19's then causing the uncomfortable ride! I would loved to make it a bit more softer as on comfort i am not really bothered about spirited driving etc as when i want to do this i can switch it up to auto or dynamic.

But i guess the manufacturers have set it at what it is for a reason!

The problem is it's just the dampers that are adjustable, not the springs. I don't know if Audis MagRide is quick enough to allow different damping rates for compression and rebound. Maybe it can and they keep the advanced kit for the more expensive models.
It's the excessive rebound that's the problem.

Reactions: pburv
Springs need to be softer for more comfort. Nothing available that I can find. Like you lads I want a tad softer. As for road noise it's a ****** joke for a 40k car. it seems like 80% of it is from the rear. Will address this when I get time. Moving to the new pirelli or the new MPS4 next year should help.

I added sound prfooing to the rear of my RS3 and made a big differecne deffo worth doing.

TBH, I spend 90% of the time in Individual Mode with magride & steering in Auto and the engine/gearbox in Dynamic but knocked from S to D, I find it a decent balance.
For some reason the steering & magride feel a bit better compared to using full Auto Mode in ADS.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
1141995597a9f289984c357c6fdca268.jpg

Making the change to NO under wheel dampening might disable mag ride. I have the kw delete kit so I can not confirm tho

1141995597a9f289984c357c6fdca268.jpg

Making the change to NO under wheel dampening might disable mag ride. I have the kw delete kit so I can not confirm tho

I think the main want is to be able to reset the ground height to wheel arch eyebrow dimension on lowered cars to 'recalibrate' mag ride.

Reactions: karb0n, RS200Z and pburv
Unfortunately the process / procedure is still unknown and therefore only possible via ODIS. I have a MagRide vehicle now which I am wanting to fit an MSSKit to but am not touching it for the moment as I am in the process of applying for a full ODIS licence.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I think the main want is to be able to reset the ground height to wheel arch eyebrow dimension on lowered cars to 'recalibrate' mag ride.

Yeah that makes sense. I think the settings available would just disable it without throwing a light.

Might get MRC to do mine when I'm down to see them then. Out of interest whats involved in regards to getting an ODIS licence @DJAlix

PS the MSS springs are amazing.

Might get MRC to do mine when I'm down to see them then. Out of interest whats involved in regards to getting an ODIS licence @DJAlix

PS the MSS springs are amazing.
Am waiting on MSS pricing to come through :(

For an ODIS licence you need to go through all kinda of background checks and company checks, including a CRB check. Once all that is done you need to purchase all the needed equipment, which includes a massive tube of Lube for when they shaft you with the yearly subscription costs :)

Am waiting on MSS pricing to come through :(

For an ODIS licence you need to go through all kinda of background checks and company checks, including a CRB check. Once all that is done you need to purchase all the needed equipment, which includes a massive tube of Lube for when they shaft you with the yearly subscription costs :)

Woah thats crazy. I'm sure it will pay for itself though. Wonder if you can code a mk3 TT style key to an A3 once you've got ODIS :)

Speak soon. I think VC is a no go for me. I'd need to do FL Bose amp retrofit for the mib2 and that runs on MOST databus which would require a complete revamp of... everything lol.

If only there was a way to use it with mib1.

Speak soon. I think VC is a no go for me. I'd need to do FL Bose amp retrofit for the mib2 and that runs on MOST databus which would require a complete revamp of... everything lol.

If only there was a way to use it with mib1.
+ more issues. Is why I don't really get involved with MIB2 / VC retrofits. I really want to get to the bottom of the MagRide though. As good as I find the Audi Springs let the system down and I really want to be able to sort everything once I pull the trigger on the MMS.

I contacted the admin at OBDeleven and he stated "only the dealer can activate mirroring" so not sure if that's true or not !?

I contacted the admin at OBDeleven and he stated "only the dealer can activate mirroring" so not sure if that's true or not !?
I was all set for two days of testing but the nursery called and asked me to collect my little one yesterday as she was ill so had to play daddy daycare, so mirroring is on hold until sunday. VW and Audi share the MMI unit but I don't think mirroring is possible on the Audi variant as we don't have a touchscreen option. I also believe that mirroring is gonna be for non-apple devices only.

Reactions: karb0n and Rob2k68
I was all set for two days of testing but the nursery called and asked me to collect my little one yesterday as she was ill so had to play daddy daycare, so mirroring is on hold until sunday. VW and Audi share the MMI unit but I don't think mirroring is possible on the Audi variant as we don't have a touchscreen option. I also believe that mirroring is gonna be for non-apple devices only.

I have a android and iPhone so that works. I'll be waiting for you to figure it out. If you can't I'll ask the dealer but I doubt they will be much help lol.

I have odis engineer and vas online. Unfortunately the only suspension ride hight I've ever adjusted was on an old s8. That was with vcds. As such I wouldn't be too keen on testing on a working car, don't really fancy immobilising anyone!

Some good work going on there though!

Reactions: DJAlix
I have odis engineer and vas online. Unfortunately the only suspension ride hight I've ever adjusted was on an old s8. That was with vcds. As such I wouldn't be too keen on testing on a working car, don't really fancy immobilising anyone!

Some good work going on there though!
The Audi A6, A7 and A8 vehicles are a different procedure unfortunatly. I wish is was that straightforward :(

Please share lol :)
I think when you consider Alex's dedication to the cause has latterly included having his historical misdeeds raked over by the Criminal Records Bureau, and weighing out some fairly chunky lumps of cash for the hardware and software needed to crack these devices, you may need to cross his palm with some contributory beer tokens before he spills the beans.

Or perhaps some tokens for a manicure, waxing, and a nice glass of Baileys might be more fitting.

Reactions: T-800, Rob2k68 and karb0n
I think when you consider Alex's dedication to the cause has latterly included having his historical misdeeds raked over by the Criminal Records Bureau, and weighing out some fairly chunky lumps of cash for the hardware and software needed to crack these devices, you may need to cross his palm with some contributory beer tokens before he spills the beans.

Or perhaps some tokens for a manicure, waxing, and a nice glass of Baileys might be more fitting.

With that being said,If he wants a PayPal contribution. I'm fine with that ! :)

Good post tho,Very funny lol

Reactions: Rob2k68 and GSB
Been a while but here is an update:

I have not been able to get this working via VCDS, and god knows I have tried, but I after investing in the needed tools here is a teaser of the results:

2016 Audi RS3 8V on H&R Springs with MagRide Calibration

More information is to follow during the week.

This is the 4th calibration which I have completed but the first to a car on lowering springs, all others have been stock setup. I will be testing on my own vehicle with MSS Kits Springs in a few weeks time.

I know a good number of people have been looking for this, especially in the US of A, but I am sorry to say that as a VCDS function this "project" is dead so you will need a professional with the correct tools.

While I am more than willing to discuss the results and our on-going testing, please understand that I cannot release any further details of how to complete this process. I needed to invest a significant chunk of change to get this nailed and simply cannot give away the information.

Edit:

Adding owners initial / 1 Day feedback which he posted on another forum:

Screen Shot 2017 07 17 at 231745

Last edited:
Reactions: jungle650
Bravo Alex, knew you'd crack it in the end... :salute: How many failed attempts did it take to get the hallelujah moment?

Is it possible now to recalibrate / tweak the reference values for bump/rebound on the three drive select settings?

Reactions: AL_B