MAF Sensor

yorkster001

Reaction score
Ok, story so far. I have had the dreaded engine warning light on for some time now. The error code is showing as P0171 which you will all be no doubt familiar with.
Having read countless forums discussing this fault many pointed towards cleaning the MAF sensor as a possible solution. I should mention that prior to considering the MAF sensor as a culprit I did have a smoke test completed which don't show any obvious leaks.
So instructions in hand I proceeded to remove and clean the sensor, making sure to keep paw prints away from the important bits. Initially this appeared to solve the issue however some days later the EWL returned.
Unfortunately now in addition to the EWL I have noticed my fuel consumption figures have taken a drastic turn for the worse. Dropping from an average of 29 to 22 literally overnight :(
So the obvious question is, does this suggest the MAF sensor is faulty? Although the car generally drives ok, it doesn't seem to pull as hard over 2k when boost kicks in. It almost feels like the clutch is slipping in the way boost is delivered although I know this is not the case.
I'm quite happy to accept some of this is paranoia associated with having an ageing motor but obviously something isn't right. I'm also conscious that leaving this fault may cause further issues/damage.
Some forums suggest disconnecting the sensor and driving without to see if this gives any improvements suggesting a faulty MAF.
Thoughts please, be gentle with me.
Cheers

Hi mate, its not a expensive part so its worth changing it just to see if it sorts the fault.

Hi mate, its not a expensive part so its worth changing it just to see if it sorts the fault.
To be honest it's £100 I could do without spending this close to Xmas on the off chance it might fix it.
Would you expect to see a drastic change in how the car drives with it disconnected?

I had the exact same problem and fault code. Changed the N80 Evap Purge Valve, problem solved.

I have that code so following with interest...

Anyone know what the correct reading for a good maf is, and how you'd measure it in VCDS? Still getting my head around the complicated bits...