Maf sensor replace?

keendean

Reaction score
Car has covered 47K miles, 99' S3.

Should I replace the Maf out of general maintenance? I know they can cause damage if left, and are hard to detect if failing.

Where is the cheapest place to source one?

What is the part number?I know there are a few on ebay, worth a look, or best to avoid?

TIA

Go to a dealer and take your old one with you for a straight forward exchange mate (plus a few quid!).
To be honest you might as well wait until Jabba and they will take yours out, replace it and put a new one in. They will take yours as the exchange. They can even run a test for you to see if it needs doing. Thats what they did for me when I had my running problem.
Give them a call to make sure they have got one, but they said they carried stock when I was there so I would have thought so.

Hope it save you some running about as well as few quid!

Rob

I guess on my Subaru, they were always prone to fail, and you never knew when they were on the way out except when the car was running lean and you needed a new engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'll get Jabba to have a look when they map it, fingers crossed its Ok.
Swear I've heard on Audi's if the Maf is on its way out its hard to detect, maybe I was dreaming.

Its not that difficult to diagnose a faulty maf on an audi. You just run the car up in a few gears with VAG-COM connected to read the MAF's air flow reading.

If its below spec then its worth replacing.

Audis can run safely with a faulty maf. They just run underpowered and lumpy in certain rev ranges. A/F should be safe.