MAF ~ observations with it being unplugged.

MrLapou

Reaction score
This morning, decided to see what differences in performance unplugging the MAF would make.
Car's a March 2009 2.0TFSi Quattro, AUX engine code with 49k miles on clock. New Type 'D' DV fitted 1k miles ago.
Before test VCDS showed no fault codes.

Unplugged the MAF, started car from cold. Not dash fault lights came up.
Ventured out. Cold engine performance was more responsive. Thought I'd keep an eye on boost pressures using Android app Torque. But it said no data..
Car seemed to drive perhaps a tad better with smoother S-tronic gear changes.
After stopping off at the petrol station, restarted engine and yellow engine light came on. Car drove ok i.e. not in limp mode.

Now not sure what to do. Buy a new MAF in hope it'll improve performance (which I've always thought lacking in responsiveness) or keep the old one.

If need a replacement, anyone know of places selling discounted or re-furbed ones.

Last edited:
Buy maf from audi mate, that way its as best guarantee as possible its new & as should be, they do part ex on these aswell.,

Thanks, for sound advice.
That's the way I was heading, buying an exchange from Audi.

Euro Car Parts also do the correct MAF sensor on an exchange basis. I changed mine about 18 months ago and have had no problems since..

I would have thought the fuel consumption would change quite drastically if you disconnected the maf.

Euro Car Parts also do the correct MAF sensor on an exchange basis. I changed mine about 18 months ago and have had no problems since..

I bought one there in the past for my ex, Golf TDI 130, exactly the same as the OE unit and cheaper + you don't have the main dealer grilling and 2 hundred questions/surveys etc. in between walking in the door and going home.

I would have thought the fuel consumption would change quite drastically if you disconnected the maf.

I bought one there in the past for my ex, Golf TDI 130, exactly the same as the OE unit and cheaper + you don't have the main dealer grilling and 2 hundred questions/surveys etc. in between walking in the door and going home.

They are the Bosch unit. Exactly the same as OEM.